A Fossil Forum Hunt July 10 And 11 2008 At The Calvert Cliffs

Guest michael

Here's the link for the Matoaka Beach Cabins.

http://www.matoakabeachcabins.com/

They charge $4.00/day for beach access if you are not staying at the cabins. Owned by a nice senior couple.

Also a link for the Beach at Chesapeake Beach which is known by several names.

Bayfront Park, Brownie's Beach, Randle Cliffs.

http://mysite.verizon.net/browniebeach/where.html

The directions are a little off as far as where to turn off of MD Route 2, but it is easy to look up the town of Chesapeake Beach.

Just a thought, since this is a two day trip, the group might want to take a day at Bayfront Park.

You may not find as many large teeth as at Matoaka Cabins unless you have waders, but I've found more quality small teeth if sieving the gravel at the surf line.

Carpe Diem, Carpe Somnium

Be careful when you park your cars at Brownie's Beach. Several weeks ago two out of state vehicles from NY were broken into. Apparently, the thieves targeted electronic gear (GPS devices and DVD players) that were left unattended in the back seats. Store all your personal stuff in a trunk or under a blanket.

I've started a thread that only has info about the Cliffs, for anyone who wants to join us. I just keep editing and updating the post so it is all in one spot - so, if you are interested, check it regularly for updates, as the changes won't show up in "new posts"....

I'm hoping this link will take you to the thread I am talking about:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?sh...st=0#entry13370

-Mary Ann

"There is nothing like geology; the pleasure of the first day's partridge shooting or first day's hunting cannot be compared to finding a fine group of fossil bones, which tell their story of former times with almost a living tongue." Charles Darwin, letter to his sister Catherine, 1834

Here's the link for the Matoaka Beach Cabins.

http://www.matoakabeachcabins.com/

They charge $4.00/day for beach access if you are not staying at the cabins. Owned by a nice senior couple.

I see on their site that they have a campground (though no info about it). What's it like?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Also, why not drop by the Calvert Marine Museum in Solomons, MD on July 12th (if you've all still got any energy left). The museum is holding its annual Sharkfest celebration. Our curator/paleontologist can identify any UFOs (Unidentified Fossil Objects) that you may find. Plus, you can tour the newly opened Paleo-Hall that features interactive animations that explain the geological origins of Calvert Cliffs.

I see on their site that they have a campground (though no info about it). What's it like?

The campground is basicly a level area of turf for tents. No electric or water hookups. They have a outside cold water shower and the restroom is an old fashioned outhouse.

For a more moderm campground try:

Patuxent Camp Sites

4774 Williams Wharf Road

St. Leonard, Maryland 20685

410-586-9880

Seventy-five spacious sites, some waterfront, with water and electricity. Full bath facilities. Boat ramp, 100' pier, picnic tables, fire rims, and dumping stations. Open year-round. Waterfront is open from May 1 - October 1. Crabbing & fishing

This is about a 30 minute drive from Matoaka.