Arizona....my New Fossil Frontier!

FossilForKids

Well I just accepted a job in Globe Arizona and from my research this is a good "Base Location" for exploring a state that appears to have a ton of diverse fossil localities. I am very stoked about it plus I'm just 6 hours from Texas! I plan on doing the Dan approach to discovering all the potential fossil goodies in the state. I've already ordered map sets and I'm going to become pals with all the Rock Shop guys.

It's a new day and my last weekend in California will be digging STH....it doesn't get better than that!!

JO

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

Well I just accepted a job in Globe Arizona and from my research this is a good "Base Location" for exploring a state that appears to have a ton of diverse fossil localities. I am very stoked about it plus I'm just 6 hours from Texas! I plan on doing the Dan approach to discovering all the potential fossil goodies in the state. I've already ordered map sets and I'm going to become pals with all the Rock Shop guys.

It's a new day and my last weekend in California will be digging STH....it doesn't get better than that!!

JO

Wow, Congratulations on the job and a new area to find some good stuff!!

Welcome to the forum!

Wow, Congratulations on the job and a new area to find some good stuff!!

Thanks Roz!

John,

Congratulations! :D

Best of luck on the new 'digs'!:P

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Globe! You'd better be careful or you'll wind up being a mineral collector!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Globe! You'd better be careful or you'll wind up being a mineral collector!

No kidding! There's several large copper mines right there which also produces outstanding turquoise and the ever present silver. It's not as pretty a place as the bay area but it has a rugged beauty and serious adventure potential.

You'll like the Globe/Miami area. Fossils abound in AZ.. and you'll be very near Lake Roosevelt.

~Mike

All your fossils are belong to us

Three miles NW of Globe, along Pinal Creek, there are outcrops of the Devonian Martin Limestone Formation -- check it out. I'm in Phoenix, and if you'd like to get together for a trip to the Kohl's Ranch site near Payson, I'd be game to go. Naco Formation, Pennsylvanian, lots of inverts............

Rumi

Du-hu-hu-hude....perhaps you'll find fossil hunting grounds even more virgin than Texas...have a look at the following link:

Arizona Fossils

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Du-hu-hu-hude....perhaps you'll find fossil hunting grounds even more virgin than Texas...have a look at the following link:

Arizona Fossils

I've been all over that site since I started looking into Az so I'm going to definitely use it as a good guide!

Three miles NW of Globe, along Pinal Creek, there are outcrops of the Devonian Martin Limestone Formation -- check it out. I'm in Phoenix, and if you'd like to get together for a trip to the Kohl's Ranch site near Payson, I'd be game to go. Naco Formation, Pennsylvanian, lots of inverts............

Rumi

Hey Rumi! Payson is definitely a plan and I plan in doing all the creeks and washes I can access in Pinal and Gila counties. I am also going to check an outcropping outside Superior.

John

And if you get real bored theres always the Lost Dutchman Mine.

Congrats. I will be looking forward to your reports.

If you guys go to Kohl's Ranch, I could sure use some more of that striped agate found there. I'm too far away now to just drive up there for a day.. LOL

~Mike

When I worked for Salt River Project I was often sent up to the dams to calibrate both RTUs for power and Lake Level telemetry stuff. I got to look around quite a bit and WOW.. stuff all over. Also, I used to hunt javelina by Mt. Graham on the opposite side of Safford and along the San Simon.. plenty there too.. if you go further down to the Wilcox Playa, be sure to leave any Clovis points you see alone.. (yeah right).. :-)

~Mike