Best Echs Yet

calciteguy

Echinoids rock. They are small and therefore store and display easily, and they retain the original calcite surface structure unlike most of the other fossils found in association such as ammonites, gastropods, and certain bivalves, which often occur as steinkerns (internal molds lacking original surface detail). Alas, Ma Nature has made another believer....

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Echinoids rock. They are small and therefore store and display easily, and they retain the original calcite surface structure unlike most of the other fossils found in association such as ammonites, gastropods, and certain bivalves, which often occur as steinkerns (internal molds lacking original surface detail). Alas, Ma Nature has made another believer....

Hey Dan - Thanks for your post here and yes, I'm now hooked on these guys, especially since calcite is my favorite mineral. If you are not familiar, there is a good article titled "A Skeleton Made of Calcite Crystals, Sea Urchins and other Echinoderms" by Rupert Hochleitner and Pete Richards in CALCITE extraLapis English edition No. 4. It is worth the read.

Now back to cleaning echies :)

Bill

Edited by calciteguy

Calciteguy..... Quality material..... looking good for future hunts....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

SWEET haul. I'd concider the claw for FOTM. It's a sweet one. Congrats.

Now that is a real compliment for a lucky find.

Thanks a bunch :)

Hey Dan - Thanks for your post here and yes, I'm now hooked on these guys, especially since calcite is my favorite mineral. If you are not familiar, there is a good article titled "A Skeleton Made of Calcite Crystals, Sea Urchins and other Echinoderms" by Rupert Hochleitner and Pete Richards in CALCITE extraLapis English edition No. 4. It is worth the read.

Now back to cleaning echies :)

Bill

Some of the yellow Calcite (and fossils) I have found in the Upper Cretaceous Austin Chalk fluoresces bright orange under UV. In particular some material out of faults north of Hutto.

Good info on the claw, Alex. :)

Did it change from Palaeopagurus to Pagurus?

As far I know, Miss Rathbun named it Pagurus banderensis in 1935 I ignore if later it was called Palaeopagurus sometime, will see it.

See you soon , John ;)

Edited by MB