Evidence Of Coprophagy In Cretaceous Coprolites

MarkGelbart

I found an article abstract in the March 2010 Georgia Journal of Science about Deinosuchus rugosus coprolites.

Two scientists found fish and shark's teeth on the outside of the coprolites. These weren't interpeted as being the prey of this giant crocodylian. The digestive juices would have rendered a shark's tooth unindentifiable. Instead, they believe the fish and sharks were eating the feces of Deinosuchus. One of the sharks' teeth belonged to a crow shark--Squalicorax.

Fossil feces just fascinates me.

Mark,

Thanks for posting - I always enjoy reading your blog! :)

Well Done!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Well I meant to say, I enjoy your blog to.

Thanks for posting.

I especially liked the georgian ponies article.

Edited by keedler

A friend told me about an article he read about a Miocene coprolite with shark bite marks from the Calvert Cliffs. It was proposed that the shark (considered a tiger shark from the shape of the bite marks) either attacked a live crocodile or was feeding on a carcass (rather than biting the "pre-coprolite" directly).

I found an article abstract in the March 2010 Georgia Journal of Science about Deinosuchus rugosus coprolites.

Two scientists found fish and shark's teeth on the outside of the coprolites. These weren't interpeted as being the prey of this giant crocodylian. The digestive juices would have rendered a shark's tooth unindentifiable. Instead, they believe the fish and sharks were eating the feces of Deinosuchus. One of the sharks' teeth belonged to a crow shark--Squalicorax.

Fossil feces just fascinates me.

Mark,

I just spent an extremely enjoyable hour reading your blog. It's now bookmarked and I expect to spend much more time there. Can you refresh my memory about how to order your book, your blog has inspired me to buy a copy.

Don