Ammonite Shell Texture

Terry Dactyll

Ive uncovered what I think is the actual ' texture ' of an ammonite shell preserved in pyrite .... Its a first for me for ammonites although it happend on the keel of a nautilus once... If you look at the 'green ammonite bed' Nautilus that still has all its shell and markings intact then you see the same circumferential striations as on the calcite and pyrite nautilus .... its this preservation that I base my ammonite texture theory on...

Take a look and see what you think and I'd be intrested to see if anyone else got any ammonite shell texture preservation to share?...

Ammonite shell & Nautilus shell

post-1630-061010800 1287476797_thumb.jpg post-1630-097165000 1287476813_thumb.jpg

post-1630-028881000 1287477006_thumb.jpg post-1630-032020500 1287476989_thumb.jpg

Edited by Terry Dactyll

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Wow thats amazing!!!! :o

Yep thats the origenal texture. It realy rare due to the fact the shell is made of agraget* (you propably already knew that) and it doesnt hang around to presurve. I have incountered primative c-pods over here that have the orginal shell priserved, but not nearly as well presurved as yours.

Remember that rare cunk of amminoid that i enter for the FOTM? And do you remeber the prep lines that were next to it? I exposed a small portion of that original shel texter.

Nice find!! :goodjob:

-Frozen

* EDIT: That would be aragonite

Holy snot that's awesome!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

aragonite is a form of CaCO3 that is unstable under normal conditions and therefore usually converts to calcite by the time 10-100 million years have passed. but it is more stable under pressure, so well-buried old fossils can sometimes beat the odds.

Steve, you always seem to show us something very cool from the ammonite beds you haunt. Thanks. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Cheers guys.... Its an unusual shell to.... I only ever found 1 other previously.... :)

Hello,Steve ,fantastic specimen :o ,my best cephalopods shell preservation are mostly Calcite (Plienbachian of Normandy)and pyritised (Albian of Troyes),regards

post-2325-054413400 1287523873_thumb.jpg

post-2325-008585700 1287523918_thumb.jpg

post-2325-036095800 1287523961_thumb.jpg

post-2325-010666400 1287523989_thumb.jpg

very cool, but please explain how you know that is an ammonite if the texture matches a nautalus? I'm asking to learn, I know that the segments between chambers on ammonites are more complex, but are there other clues?

nala.... Beautiful specimens... the shell on the Lytoceras? is very detailed and thanks for posting them...by the way, did you notice the nautilus for sale on the heritage auction site from France with red mineral infil in some of the chambers... :wub:

Mike ... Cheers....

Scylla... The overall shape of the Nautilus (Cenoceras) is very different from that of an ammonite as well as the internal chamber walls (sutures) are less complex as you rightly pointed out....These are the distinguishing characteristics that I use to distinguish between the two.... I will post you a couple of examples to compare....

Nautilus with Shell..... Without shell showing internal chamber walls

post-1630-059075600 1287566799_thumb.jpg post-1630-017166600 1287566821_thumb.jpg

Ammonite with shell.... Without shell revealing complex sutures

post-1630-028095400 1287566929_thumb.jpg post-1630-093551800 1287566909_thumb.jpg

nala.... Beautiful specimens... the shell on the Lytoceras? is very detailed and thanks for posting them...by the way, did you notice the nautilus for sale on the heritage auction site from France with red mineral infil in some of the chambers... :wub:

Mike ... Cheers....

Scylla... The overall shape of the Nautilus (Cenoceras) is very different from that of an ammonite as well as the internal chamber walls (sutures) are less complex as you rightly pointed out....These are the distinguishing characteristics that I use to distinguish between the two.... I will post you a couple of examples to compare....

Nautilus with Shell..... Without shell showing internal chamber walls

post-1630-059075600 1287566799_thumb.jpg post-1630-017166600 1287566821_thumb.jpg

Ammonite with shell.... Without shell revealing complex sutures

post-1630-028095400 1287566929_thumb.jpg post-1630-093551800 1287566909_thumb.jpg

Thanks, I think I get it, the Nautilus' largest chamber covers over the previous whorls, and the Ammonite shows the previous whorls. But just to make sure could you send me the actual fossils in those pictures, I think I'll understand better with the 3-d viewing ;)

But just to make sure could you send me the actual fossils in those pictures, I think I'll understand better with the 3-d viewing.....

In the post ;)

heres one with some nice texture, i got it at the museum of nature. ;)

post-3994-057350800 1288383476_thumb.jpg

-Shamus

The Ordovician enthusiast.

heres one with some nice texture, i got it at the museum of nature. ;)

Trilobite Guy..... I see you got a combination of the nacre shell and sutures showing there, very nice aquisition.... ;)

Steve, pretty cool find--cant say that I've seen too many examples like that before. Very nice addition to the collection! I'm fascinated by the complexity of some suture patterns that the ammonites possess and that somehow the simple non-complex natiloid approach has survived to this day.

Nala and trilobite guy very nice ammos as well!

Regards, Chris

• 2 weeks later...

my ammmo is sliced in half, and exposes crystal that has reformed in the "chambers" of the shell :wub:

-Shamus

The Ordovician enthusiast.

Thanks, I think I get it, the Nautilus' largest chamber covers over the previous whorls, and the Ammonite shows the previous whorls. But just to make sure could you send me the actual fossils in those pictures, I think I'll understand better with the 3-d viewing ;)

Some ammonites are evolute (all whorls showing) and others are more involute (inner whorls covered), and some of those have smoother shells like the nautiloids. I think the only way to tell if you can't see the sutures is just to familiarize yourself with the different genera.

Chris.... Well.. The Nautilus survived long before ammonites even evolved as well as survived after they dissapeared... They must be doing something right...maybe its surviving the temperature fluctuations of the sea....

fossiljunkie.... Thanks.... I chucked a new rock on the bench yesterday to start getting a feel for it..... I may grab a coupler hours on it later...

This is a Eutrephoceras sp. from the creek in Texas that Tera (barefoot girl) hunts, showing a small portion of shell pattern that didn't break away when removed from the sandstone matrix. Next photo is a portion of a chamber that chipped off revealing tiny crystals, they were also at the entrance of the living chamber. --Tom

post-3940-081620500 1290177462_thumb.jpg

post-3940-091451200 1290177635_thumb.jpg

Edited by Foshunter

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

This is a Eutrephoceras sp. from the creek in Texas that Tera (barefoot girl) hunts, showing a small portion of shell pattern that didn't break away when removed from the sandstone matrix. --Tom

Tom.... Thats a very nice nautilus.... I know BFG has had some good finds from over there and the quality of preservation is fantastic.... Its great to see the shell texture, thanks for sharing it...

Some ammonites are evolute (all whorls showing) and others are more involute (inner whorls covered), and some of those have smoother shells like the nautiloids. I think the only way to tell if you can't see the sutures is just to familiarize yourself with the different genera.

Correct and the other tell is the position of the sipuncle. Nautiloid if central, ammonoid if ventral.