Dangers Of Fossil Prep?

kolleamm

I was wondering if the uranium in million year old fossils is dangerous? I heard somewhere it causes cancer or something, but since its so old is it worth worrying? I'am clueless any advice is appreciated.

I was wondering if the uranium in million year old fossils is dangerous? I heard somewhere it causes cancer or something, but since its so old is it worth worrying? I'am clueless any advice is appreciated.

The age of uranium won't be an issue as its half-life is around 4.5 billion years (the small age of fossils is fairly irrelevant in this case). However, the amount of uranium will be so small (and it won't be the heavier isotopes), that it shouldn't be a problem. Although uranium can cause cancer, the trace amounts in fossils won't harm you; but still, try not to breath in any dust.

Exactly; aspiration of airborne particles is bad, whether they are radioactive or not.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

After reading Tracer's link I was pretty informed. If fossils contain radon do you guys think prepping fossils outside would eliminte any radon risk? Thanks for the help

I think the radon risk is more from accumulation of the gas over time in an enclosed area.

If you have fossils that you suspect might be "hot", it might be wise to invest in a radon detector and install it where they are displayed or stored.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'd suggest that for fossil collectors the threat of radiation poisoning is vanishingly small. I've heard of petrified wood that's replaced by uraninite, carnotite, etc., but they're generally good ore and tend to get mined before much gets to market.

There are lots of dangerous things to worry about, but radioactive fossils is not one of them. If you really want to worry about something, worry about protecting your eyes when field collecting, and dust when prepping, and chemical fumes from consolidants, these are dangers that actually affect fossil collectors.

B