Queenston Shale Formation On

pleecan

Hi: I am heading to Queenston Quarry with local club near Niagara Falls ON. This is red shale, upper Ordovician. Has anyone hunted in this formation? I was wondering what to expect... I was told by some not to bother ... as you don't find much.... Well I will be exploring this quarry tommorow. Any info on this quarry and the potential fossils that may be present would be appreaciated.

PL

Edited by pleecan

What, no Arkona?????

I can't help with what you may find at Queenston, but will be eagerly awaiting a report of your trip. Is it accessible to anyone, or clubs only?

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

What, no Arkona?????

I can't help with what you may find at Queenston, but will be eagerly awaiting a report of your trip. Is it accessible to anyone, or clubs only?

I was suppose to go to Arkona but because of unstable weather and this opportunity to explore Queenston Quarry for the very first time.... the choice was easy.

This was a last minute trip organized by NPGS... from what I have read so far... that formation does not produce fossils.... so fossil deposits is rare in this formation which makes it even more interesting to have a close look at the rock layers and probe into the micro domain.... this is Upper ordovician... anoxic delta deposit of mud and sand and there must be fossils to be had... I can't believe that this layer is totally devoid of fossils.

Peter

Microfossils! :D

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Microfossils! :D

I don't know, Peter; but slap on a 4X visor and crawl around and prove 'em wrong. :D

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Auspex and John:

I always have fun exploring various quarries. This quarry is spent and is only a few miles where I work but never got a chance to explore it. Similarly.. I was told that the Bois Blanc formation was a waste of time but I found some interesting bryozoans finely preserved in chert. ... So I am a bit a a contrarian... should be an interesting day of exploring and wondering about the quarry.... maybe I find one of those ordovician armor worms... I will post if I find anything... should be an interesting day. After the Eramosa experience... I am begining to see that alot of interesting invertebrates are in sub 1-2" range ie they are small and tiny.... the clue is in the symmetry imprints in the rock....

Actually John I do not use any magnifiers while hunting for fossils....I normally wear glasses for distance but when I fossil hunt no glasses required to see up close... one of the benefits of asymetric vision.

PL

Edited by pleecan

I saw a deposit of the Queenston shale over in Lockport, NY and I don't know that anything could be found in it. The red shale is very friable and seemed to crumble into slopes easily and was overhung by hard Silurian aged sandstone. Good luck, I hope you find something!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/