Heading To New York

sweeneyb

Will be heading to new York for my vacation in Jan. I was wondering if anyone new of any good places to go? I am really wanting to find a eurypterid but not sure if there are any quarrys open for that?

Will be heading to new York for my vacation in Jan. I was wondering if anyone new of any good places to go? I am really wanting to find a eurypterid but not sure if there are any quarrys open for that?

You are kidding. Upstate, where all the fossils are is going to be lots of snow. You'll probably have to wait till April. If you are interested in eurypterids, google lang's quarry in illion? a pay to dig site for eurypterids. almost no others sites for them. access is difficult

Upstate NY in January... The Buffalo area in January is the first place I've ever witnessed a true white-out. Amazing. But maybe you're not going that far up?

Yesterday it snowed (dusting) in the Albany area, which is a 2.5 hour drive for me. There were 40 mph gusts of wind, and I was out on the rocks with ice pellets bouncing off my face looking for nice crinoids. I found some, but was really happy to find a graduated group of mucrospirifers that were really perfect, they just fell right out of the rocks just by crushing with my hands. Wonderful. Wonderful until a gust of wind sent my specimen bag rolling/flying up the street and all were suddenly gone. Thankfully, the numbing cold took the sting out of the loss. ;)

The quarry mentioned seems to be the only place to find your Eurypterids, at least that's the only location that I've seen written about. If they're elsewhere, let us know.

This listing gives a few identifiable locations, some not so far North, but if you're going to visit NYC (and yes, if you can, you should) you could always head into Jersey for shark teeth. A bit of a ride.

Hopefully this helps, but not all locations are clearly described. Sorry I couldn't point you to a perfect patch, I'm really new to the hobby myself.

http://www.fossilsites.com/index.html

Edited by kabuki

What part of NY are you heading to? I'd avoid the western half as it will be covered in Lake Effect Snow by January. But if you want some sites out that way I can suggest a few. Check out this site as well: http://bingweb.binghamton.edu/~kwilson/home.htm

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

:) I have a wonderful place to go ,anywhere heated. :lol: I love fossils and Love New York but hate the cold. :coldb: At any rate happy hunting,just leave the cold up there. :D

Bear-dog.

If you have a pair of heated waders, dry.gif you could try Big Brook or Ramenissen brook. :unsure:

One of the New Jersey guys could let you know what the temps/hunting are like in January.

However,... January, anywhere in the North East is not a fun time of year to fossil hunt. :(

I would go to the American Museum of Natural History while in NY, though.

It's heated! ;) And, it probably has some fossils to purchase. ^_^

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Here are some pictures of just south of Buffalo this spring. Even though there was snow I had some luck. However when I was there in January, there was no way you could hunt.

Ramo

post-40-043767500 1287962452_thumb.jpg

post-40-061135400 1287962482_thumb.jpg

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

i dont think your gonna be having much luck! :( just like everyone else said, new york has canadian winters.

-Shamus

The Ordovician enthusiast.

sorry dude, our fossil hunting season up here is just about over. I went out this morning and it was 38 degrees. See you in the spring.

I'll 2nd the museum idea -- great museum and warm. I live a couple hours south of Big Brook and unless it's unusually warm, I won't be anywhere near it until about April. If you google it, you'll find a oouple of websites with good info, but I wouldn't count on collecting there in January.

Just a quick word about the museums... museums in NYC are an amazing experience, the Met alone is larger than most towns (really, esp. if one goes by population. The previously mentioned Natural History Museum is a classic. One suggestion, pick a weekday for museum visits, and get there early. One should be able to see every exhibit in the Met and Natural History in a couple of weeks if they walk fast and don't linger in one area too long. ;)

I heard there are dinosaur tracks in Staten Island, but I've had a hard time finding any reference to send you. Maybe I heard wrong?

Best of luck!