Not Many Fossils.....

old dead things

Last weekend the wife and I drove up to southeastern Montana to collect ammonites. Unfortunately it rained most of the time. We did get a few scaphites and miscellaneous other fossils. However the find of the day was a great arrowhead. It is snowing in Wyoming too, probably the end of the collecting season for awhile.

Jim

Old Dead Things

post-1148-073738500 1288121531_thumb.jpg

post-1148-010205100 1288121570_thumb.jpg

post-1148-049801800 1288121588_thumb.jpg

Love that arrowhead! Hows that new vehicle working out for you?

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Jim.... Looks a really nice arrowhead though, delecate and well preserved... You just reminded me, I have a collection of Montana ammonites I got in a trade years ago, I shall have to dig them out and show you some photos sometime...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Nice point, beautiful country - does it have its own spirit? It is nice you have a place to hunt ammonites. Thanks for sharing.

Steve

Last weekend the wife and I drove up to southeastern Montana to collect ammonites. Unfortunately it rained most of the time. We did get a few scaphites and miscellaneous other fossils. However the find of the day was a great arrowhead. It is snowing in Wyoming too, probably the end of the collecting season for awhile.

Jim

Old Dead Things

wow, great find. I have found exactly zero of those here in NY, but a friend seems to have an internal homing sensor for them.

Thanks for your comments.

Spirit? Probably not, but when I use to hunt arrowheads a lot, some fellow collectors thought I did, but really it is just knowing where to look and how to look.

If you've ever considered getting a 4-wheeler, but haven't, get one. I should have gotten one years ago. I love it. With the exception of one place, I could have gotten the pick up to the sites, but driving the 4-wheeler there is much more fun. I don't take as many chances as I did in my youth, but those four wheelers can go some amazing places. Looks like the weather is suppose to be in the 60's this weekend, so one more ammonite trip is on the schedule, if I get the fossil barn ceiling insulated.........guess I'd better get off here and get to work.

Jim

Old Dead Things

Edited by old dead things

You take some cool trips ,I would be happy just camping at some of the sites you have been to. The chase is the big/fun part of the hunt anyways great point also. B)B)B):)

It's my bone!!!