Amphibian Trackway

Archimedes

post-385-1210460040_thumb.jpgpost-385-1210460084_thumb.jpg

I was in a strip mine looking around today, and had a nice day collecting.

Lower Pennsylvania, Pottsville, Amphibian Trackway and a Large Track.

The Image on the left is a parallel style trackway and the piece of shale is about 12 inches long. :)

The Image on the right is a large track about 5 inches long.

Very cool! I love ichnofossils in general, and trackways in particular: they aren't part of the critter, but they show it DOING something. Since most cannot be identified as to species (some are known ONLY as tracks), you're relieved of that onus and can freely speculate about the action. Thanks for sharing!

(How about an Ichnofossil topic? Who else has an image to share?)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest N.AL.hunter

I have looked at several open pit strip mines and have not found a single track yet! Couldn't even get access in Walker county. Really nice find.

Absolutely stunning!

Do you find many in your area?

There is one area owned by the state of Alabama where many trackways have been found, but are rarely encountered at other Pennsylvanian Period coal strip mines, I have not found that many but figured I would share my wife's new Trackway with the forum, she likes it so.....well its in her display case now. I will have to find another.

Similar Trackways have been found throughout the Appalachian Basin from Alabama to Pennsylvania.

Neat stuff! The more I follow the forum, the more I learn. Thanks for sharing.

Carpe Diem, Carpe Somnium

Guest solius symbiosus
There is one area owned by the state of Alabama where many trackways have been found, but are rarely encountered at other Pennsylvanian Period coal strip mines, I have not found that many but figured I would share my wife's new Trackway with the forum, she likes it so.....well its in her display case now. I will have to find another.

Similar Trackways have been found throughout the Appalachian Basin from Alabama to Pennsylvania.

I've seen one from eastern Ky, and an important reptile trackway was donated to the campus museum where I used to work. The next time I am there, I will see if I can get a pic.

Wow, that is one of the coolest trackways I've seen in a long time - excellent find!! (I'm not tooooo jealous :D )

-Mary Ann

"There is nothing like geology; the pleasure of the first day's partridge shooting or first day's hunting cannot be compared to finding a fine group of fossil bones, which tell their story of former times with almost a living tongue." Charles Darwin, letter to his sister Catherine, 1834

Guest N.AL.hunter

So was this found at Union Chapel? Is that open for anyone or did you go with an organized group hunt?

So was this found at Union Chapel? Is that open for anyone or did you go with an organized group hunt?

All these coal strip mines are closed and not accessible to the public, these operators do not like people wandering around, then they reclaim them leaving very little opportunity for any collecting, I was lucky enough to be able to tag along.

Guest Nicholas

I love track way fossils, there are many early Amphibian/Reptile track ways that have been found throughout my province but the real track way prize is... the track way fossils of Arthropleura.