Show Us Your Round Stuff

Nandomas

Here are 2 shark verts. The concretion is 4" across.

A few years ago a friend took me crab hunting in SW Washington. It was a killer hike, several miles through brush and over large windfalls - typical western Washington rain forest. Along the way, we found three of these shark verts. My friend left his two behind, as he only wanted good crab concretions, so I went back another day and retrieved his two. I contacted the landowner and gave him one, and he was thrilled with it. (over the years this property has been collected by several persons and probably in museum collections, however they apparently have never shared or shown him their bounty--but that's another story--I later gave him a broken concretion with a full claw showing--something he had also never seen--and someday hope to give him a whole one, when I get them prepped.)

We each hauled back over 50 lbs of concretions. My friend was much younger, but a heavy smoker and because he had to stop for cigarette breaks, I was able to catch up, and recover my breath. Because he was nice enough to show me his collecting area, I did not want to slow him down. When we finally got back to the truck, he dumped out his pack and said "Here, you can have all these" His act of kindness is something I still reflect back on.

post-1410-096014200 1289075124_thumb.jpg

Great story,IVIVI, and very cool "round things" :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Here's what I believe is a Dunveganoceras pondi from the Frontier formation, in Wyoming, and is 80-90 myo.

Since it weighed 35 lbs. I put it in my backpack and tried to carry it through Casper Airport security to board the plane. The young agent at the scanner was not going to let me through, but fortunately we called his supervisor, who finally let me board. I don't know what they thought I would going to do--use it as a bowling ball weapon to make my way into the cockpit and take over the plane?

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is now the Ammonite Express and we will have an unscheduled landing in the Frontier formation, to collect ammonites"

Anyone else have an airport security problem transporting fossils? (this almost sounds like it could be a new topic?)

post-1410-069632300 1289621652_thumb.jpg

Edited by bruce

Here's a few- threw that last one in just for kicks :P

post-4072-053789500 1289623055_thumb.jpg

post-4072-090413500 1289623088_thumb.jpg

post-4072-043937900 1289623220_thumb.jpg

post-4072-051846300 1289623370_thumb.jpg

post-4072-077717200 1289623588_thumb.jpg

post-4072-082419300 1289623828_thumb.jpg

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

Anyone else have an airport security problem transporting fossils? (this almost sounds like it could be a new topic?)

No but I collect (dead) butterflies too and bought a ton in Malaysia one year and thought they would throw a fit about it once I got back to go throught US customs- they didn't even seem to care one bit about it. I did find a bunch of petrified wood last time I was in Colorado and had it in my carry on- notta word said about that either.

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

Here is the "cup" end (where the animal lived) of a 11 inche long horn coral. Im waiting till i can afford an air abration unit so i can finish the center.

post-2572-092911900 1289679445_thumb.jpg

Edited by frozen_turkey