Ptychodus Teeth By The Handfull

Ramo

Saw that this morning and didn't connect the dots. Way cool. Still want to find one of those dentitions.

That got published pretty fast! WTG scmense :goodjob:

There is a lot of info in that article that is new to me.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

that is just to cool! :bow: :bow:

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Way to go Steve (and Ramo)!

:thumbsu:

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

John, I had nothing to do with that find. It is all Steves.

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

John, I had nothing to do with that find. It is all Steves.

Ramo

It was kudos to him for the find and thanks to you for posting the article (and contributing to the previous research). ;) 2010 is a good year for Ptychodus mortoni research in Kansas.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I learned so much from this posting. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Great find Steven and cool Mike posts the results online for all to see!

With the calcified verts, I think this is another find that suggests Ptychodus are Neoselachians versus Hybodonts. I need to be on the look out for ~1mm lead pellet looking objects in Ptychodus teeth areas :-)

Great info. for us Ptychodus lovers, thanks for posting.--Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

As many of you know Steve Mense found a big Ptychodus this year, and there is a write-up about it on the Oceans of Kansas Website. Thought some of you might want to check it out.

http://www.oceansofkansas.com/Ptychodus3.html

Way to go Steve!

Thanks Ramo for posting and for everyones comments. It was a gratifying thing but I am way to ignorant of paleontology to get puffed up about it. It means a lot to me that it is interesting to Mike and to all the repliers to this message.

This is funny to me, Mike picked up a vertebrae and handed it to me to examine, I looked at it and broke of a small piece and ate it. I told Mike it is a habit, I eat a little bit of the things I find. You can find pieces that are not as fossilized as others.

I was working on this scavenged platecarpus and a vet friend of mine was out camping with me and taking pictures, he saw me eat a small piece and asked what the hell I was doing so I handed him a small piece, I said there haven't been many people that have eaten mosasaur. He ate it. The picture is when he took the picture of the scavenged mosasaur.

Steve

post-211-039871600 1288317274_thumb.jpg

This is funny to me, Mike picked up a vertebrae and handed it to me to examine, I looked at it and broke of a small piece and ate it. I told Mike it is a habit, I eat a little bit of the things I find. You can find pieces that are not as fossilized as others.

Steve

Hey I also know of a great fossil hunter who told me he ate a trilobite brain while he was at the Burgess Shale excavation site... I broke out laughing when he told me that he has been out in the field too long... kind of weird a flaky... being one with the trilobite....hey maybe there is something to it... he is one of the discovers of the Eramosa Lagerstatte..... hmmm munching on fossils......

Congrats Steve on your super find.

PL

Your dog must be your best buddy, nice picture.--Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Your dog must be your best buddy, nice picture.--Tom

Looks like the hunting buddy was looking for the only spot of shade in the prairie!

"Paleo Trail Mix"; somehow, I like the idea...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Looks like the hunting buddy was looking for the only spot of shade in the prairie!

There is tall spires within twenty feet of that spot that offers shade but she has to be close.

She is a good friend. Border Collies, at least this one is a one person dog. She even tries to get between my wife and I when we hug. She doesn't like it when my wife throws me kisses.

Koda was laying on the floor and my wife winked at me to watch, Vickie said 'I love you Koda' and the dog didn't move, Vickie then said 'I love you Steve' and the dog jumped up and was all over her.

Way cool finds and hadn't seen oral denticles from ptychodus. I didn't

know they had them. What a treat!

Welcome to the forum!

I recall Russian scientists eating mammoth flesh.

I am guilty of tasting and smelling fossils sometimes. :-)