The Hardest Part Is Getting There

obsessed1

I'm also a big fan of shark teeth in matrix, just cuz you don't see them that way so much. And its fun to get multiple teeth in one block. Did you collect so much stuff that you had to pay extra for heavy baggage oin the way home?

I'm also a big fan of shark teeth in matrix, just cuz you don't see them that way so much. And its fun to get multiple teeth in one block. Did you collect so much stuff that you had to pay extra for heavy baggage oin the way home?

Well.... my checked bad weighed 49 lbs. They allowed 50 before you had to pay extra. Everything else went in my carry on and must have weighed at least 30 - 35 lbs. and almost all of that was matrix pieces. I tend to bring out bigger sections than I need so that I can work them smaller in a more controled setting. An added bonus is that my trip seems even longer since I get to find more fossils even after I'm home!

I hope that this next Shark Tooth hill venture is well published. I'd fly there from Missouri for sure!

"One of these day's I'm going to find a tooth over 3inches."

It sounds as if you had a fantastic time collecting. It brings back a lot of good memories to me. I've had the opportunity to collect at Shark Tooth Hill for more then 40 years. I actually lived in Bakersfield for about eight years. Bob Ernst was a friend so I had the privilege of collecting on his property a number of time with him. I remember how quickly the heat and thirst and fatique were forgotten as soon as spectacular specimen was exposed. A day there seemed to fly by you were so busy digging up bones and teeth that lay all about you. Bob was a generous host often having us at his home for lunch or dinner after a days collecting. The great pics of the fossils you found show the beauty and exceptional preservation of the specimens to be had from there. I hope you have many more opportunities to collect there in the future.

Wonderful that you got to dig STH. Even with the evil airlines trying to thwart your expedition. Nice prep on those matrix pieces too. :wub:

Great finds, worth the trip from that far away!

Were you on the right side where people were finding a lot of bones?

Great finds, worth the trip from that far away!

Were you on the right side where people were finding a lot of bones?

I spent time on both sides. I probably found the same number of teeth per hour digging on either side. It did seem that the harder matrix had the darker/ more colorfull teeth in it. The down side as more tended to break as you tried to get them out.