Trip To Kettle Point On

pleecan

Peter.... I've never seen any material so 'populated' or rich with fossils... theres hardly room for the matrix lol....It almost looks unreal.... I wonder if the partial trilobite is infact a complete example... it seems very well preserved as it disapears into the rock... wonderful stuff it really is... How big are the plates you collected?

Edited by Terry Dactyll

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Peter.... I've never seen any material so 'populated' or rich with fossils... theres hardly room for the matrix lol....It almost looks unreal.... I wonder if the partial trilobite is infact a complete example... it seems very well preserved as it disapears into the rock... wonderful stuff it really is... How big are the plates you collected?

Hi Steve:

The plate #2 measures 6"x 2". My largest plate is 12"x 6". The trilobite fragment 1cm could actually tunnel downwards...yes the plates are just jammed with material... I also found a tiny concretion in the muck at the shoreline which I will post later.... came away with over +20lbs of material.

PL

• 6 months later...

I have been to Kettle point and collected some ofthe black shale, but there appears to be no macrofossils. Where does one find fossil plates like that?

Favorites:

Atrypa

Mucrospirifer

Tentaculites

Hexagonaria

Wow, those are some gorgeous hash plates! *drooling*

Бо́гу моли́сь, а добра́-ума́ держи́сь.

I have been to Kettle point and collected some ofthe black shale, but there appears to be no macrofossils. Where does one find fossil plates like that?

The Kettle Point formation is black shale and is generally devoid of fossils to the naked eye but does contain some interesting fossils under magnification. The biota is not well studied nor well understood. Some really rare material does exist in the anoxic black shale with the potential of soft bodied preservation in the form of pyritzed annelids. The limestone layer beneath the Black Shale are material from dredge man made channel.... fossil are more plentiful but are the common stuff.... depends what you are after.... I prefer looking for the bizzare , weird fossil looking fossil stuff...

PL