Vertebra Identification

Markalan

• New Members

Gentlemen,

Last week I found a fossil vertebra at the tide pools in San Pedro California. I have no clue what we have. Please see two photographs.

Markpost-4341-047705700 1288632465_thumb.jpg

I don't have a good sense of the scale, but the shape in cross section makes me wonder whether they might not be shark?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• New Members

post-4341-019122400 1288647285_thumb.jpg

Thank you for the feed back regarding a possible shark. The attached photo has a rule indicating approximate fossil size. Mark

There are a number of middle-late Miocene diatomite and shaly units in the vicinity of San Pedro - normally I would say it could have also been ichthyosaur, but that was before I saw the location. This is definitely some type of large shark, given the size of these vertebrate and knowing the shark fossil record in California, it is most likely from the genus Isurus.

Bobby

I was gonna say ichthyosaur, but that Bobby, he knows his stuff in that part of the country. Yeah, what he said... Isurus, most likely. By the way, while any group I am in rarely qualifies for "gentlemen", there are many womenfolk on this forum who might also have some right answers for ya.

• New Members

Here is what I obtained from the Natural History Museum in Los Angeles CA

The specimen you have is a

series of trunk vertebrae from a considerable size bony fish. It's

not my area of expertise and, in fact, I'm not sure how much further

you can take the identification. From the appearance and its

location, it's probably from the middle Miocene Altamira Shale Member

of the Monterey Formation