Removing A Fossils From A Rock

ky157

hello im new here and i am curious about how i might be able to do something. i have a project for my historical geology class where i have to find and classify 5 differnt types of fossils. i have found a rock with alot of differnt fossils in it. its a round rock and they are mixed in there alot. i am curious if there is a way that i can remove the fossils so that i can identify them easier and correctly? if needed i can post some pictures

thank you for the help in advance

hi, and welcome. yeah, it'd be better if you posted some pictures so we can see what you're dealing with. depending on how hard the rock is, sometimes it's better to just keep looking for fossils that aren't embedded in a rock. if the rock isn't too hard, you can sometimes get the fossils out ok.

Those look like a lot of work. My advuce... if you can identify 5 different types of fossil in that rock, do so and just leave them in the rock.

yeah, those aren't going to work for what you want to do. sometimes the rock a fossil is embedded in is actually much harder than the fossil itself, and you'd tear the fossil up too much trying to get it out. it would be best if you'd leave that specimen alone and find a place to hunt for other fossils that aren't married to stone.

They have become one with the rock. Take the Zen approach and see them as they are. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

well thats what i was a figuring but one can be hope full lol. thanks for the help and i am looking forward to getting back out there and finding some more.

Looks like a huge prep job there, I would leave them in and label them as is. You run the risk of breaking them if you go at this rock. Remember, the fossils are rock and they can shatter like rock. Looks great as is, congratulations of the find. I would display it as is. Darin

• 2 months later...

My advice is if its not already free don't try to remove it. You might just damage it and then you won't have anything. Plus i heard they are worth more in rock.

If fossils are so rare then why do I have so many?