Even More Crinoids

Guest solius symbiosus

Guest solius symbiosus

I was back at the site just before dark yesterday, and I was able to remove a small section of bed.

I retrieve a section about 10 cm by 30 cm in several pieces. When I put a little soap and water to it, I found 2 more crinoids.

As this site is a roadcut, I can't do any serious quarrying, but I can probably free a few more pieces without too much work. ;) If the bed were a little closer to the top of the outcrop, I would attempt to remove some overburden.

As it is, there would be about a 1/2 meter to the top, and then the hill starts. So it would be a lot of work, and it is state property. :angry:

post-179-1210702838_thumb.jpg

The outcrop

post-179-1210702853_thumb.jpg

post-179-1210702862_thumb.jpg

As you can see, they are well entrenched in matrix. I'll post some pics when the prep is done(whenever that might be).

That matrix looks pretty hard, how are you prepping them? Blasting?

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Have you tried KOH on associated stems yet? I can't overemphasize the dramatic effect this stuff has on echinoids, but again its efficacy varies with lithologic composition and character.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Guest solius symbiosus

Yeah, the matrix is hard.

I haven't picked up any KOH yet, but I will this week.

What little prep I have done is with a pen vice. I haven't built a cabinet for the blaster.

EDIT: I was looking at this poop eater(Cyclonema varicosum), flipped it over, and found another one.

post-179-1210716211_thumb.jpg

post-179-1210716220_thumb.jpg

I have found C. varicosum attached to the anal tube of crinoids in the past.

• 3 months later...
Guest solius symbiosus

I didn't want to start a new thread for just a couple of things, so I'll bump this one, and put them in here.

I went out to the outcrop that has been producing the Pychnos(first time out since returning from the NY trip), but this time I moved a few hundred meters down and a couple of meters up in the strata(I can't climb up to the crinoids with my leg the way it is).

I saw a lot of the usual stuff, but a couple of things were decent enough to bring home.

a nice bivalve

Byssonychia sp.

length from beak to margin about 4cm

post-179-1220062828_thumb.jpg

post-179-1220062850_thumb.jpg

another unknown bivalve with original material

x10

post-179-1220062939_thumb.jpg

x20

post-179-1220062953_thumb.jpg

I haven't figured out what this is, but it is encrusted with cornulites and bryozoans. I was think sponge, but it is not solid. It is like a sphere with the center filled with matrix.

post-179-1220063015_thumb.jpg

I also brought home a chunk that is polluted with micros... Hyolithes, proto-gastropods, ostracodes, and even a micro bivalve.

Jolly good! Looks like the fossils are willing to meet you half way. :D

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest solius symbiosus

They probably more came to me as I sat at the bottom of the talus pile, and worked my way down the outcrop. ;)