Shark Teeth Self Inflicted Enamel Punctures?

darrow

I only started actively collecting about 6 months ago and noticed these puncture marks in the enamal and the only thing I could think of was the shark biting down on a shed tooth while feeding.

Tooth 1 looks like the puncture entry was "side b" and exit "side a" leaving a strip of intact enamal around the exit hole but cutting the corresponding enamel at the entry.

Tooth 2 looks like it was hit twice by the same a pair of cusplets like it stuck between a couple teeth?

added another picture illustrating similar cusplet spacing.

Is this a common occurance or is there another explination?

Darrow

post-3218-072670200 1289147704_thumb.jpg

post-3218-080448400 1289147711_thumb.jpg

post-3218-052628400 1289147717_thumb.jpg

post-3218-029155400 1289150052_thumb.jpg

Edited by darrow

These are often called "bitten teeth"; the idea being that they were shed during feeding and were bitten by the shark in the process. That is probably too big a catch-all explanation, but it seems to fit. Kind of makes them a fossil and an ichnofossil, which is cool. Not all that common, either, relative to the number of teeth found.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The tooth in the photo you have labeled tooth 1 side b appears to me to have been damaged while it was still forming not later as it was shed. You will notice the the cutting edge isn't chipped but rather it curves outward at the point of damage. A very cool find!

Edited by obsessed1

I agree with obsessed one... it looks like the tooth did a bit of healing before it was shed. Now why would a tooth in working position have a healed scar.... I don't know.

Hi,

The wound stayed on this tooth is interesting.

If the shark had eaten a ray which had a prickle ( stingray ), and that the prickle had got it all wrong behind the jaw, there where teeth form, and where this prickle had damaged this tooth when it was not still completely formed, it would have kept a mark like the one on yours.

Here is what what certainly arrived.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Hi,

Yes JPC, this happens to modern sharks. I have not this "accident" on my own recent selachians jaws, but somewhere I had a picture found on the web. Unfortunatly, I don't know where I put it... I will search it and show you.

In the meantime, here is an image of a jaw of shark teeth of which were deformed during their growth.

Centrophorus granulosus

centro10.jpg

Would that interest in you that I made a post on deformed teeth from current sharks?

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg