Science Fair

Ordovician_Odyssey

hey everyone,

im starting to plan out my science fair idea, and was hopping to get one with a relation to fossils, sedimentation, minerals or something along those lines. does anyone have any ideas that they could share?

thanks for your help.

-shamus

-Shamus

The Ordovician enthusiast.

You find trilobites, how about the life cycle of a trilo? You could have graphs, your trilobites,

and visual graphics.. I think that would be cool..

Welcome to the forum!

Perhaps a general overview of the process of fossilization, good opportunity to educate and show off the collection.

great ideas, but i dont know if its just my school or what, they make you do some sort of experiment....i think..................but im gonna prapose the ideas just in case. ;)

-Shamus

My son did one (won a 1st place)....

Here's a link to his project that is on a fossil site about the locality.

http://www.lakeneosho.org/page74Science.html

That's great! I wish i could get my daughter to do something with fossils for her Science fair but she wants to build something this year with her hands.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

That's great! I wish i could get my daughter to do something with fossils for her Science fair but she wants to build something this year with her hands.

How about a diorama of the ancient sea floor or coastal plain with dinos?

My son did one (won a 1st place)....

Here's a link to his project that is on a fossil site about the locality.

http://www.lakeneosho.org/page74Science.html

thats sounds like one i could do! thanks very much :)

Edited by trilobite guy

-Shamus

How about a diorama of the ancient sea floor or coastal plain with dinos?

No she wants to build a water mill for some reason. It's her project though so I let her do what she wants as long as nothing explodes, melts, stinks, or comes crawling out from under her bed to try and get me. :P

Here is a pict of her science fair project from the year before last. She wanted to demonstrate the flow of electricity.

post-1082-022980400 1289594114_thumb.jpg

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

No she wants to build a water mill for some reason. It's her project though so I let her do what she wants as long as nothing explodes, melts, stinks, or comes crawling out from under her bed to try and get me. :P

Here is a pict of her science fair project from the year before last. She wanted to demonstrate the flow of electricity.

post-1082-022980400 1289594114_thumb.jpg

I sense much therapy in the future..... :o

I sense much therapy in the future..... :o

Yup, anything that sets people of kilter she finds extremely hilarious.

Alfred North Whithead

Yup, anything that sets people of kilter she finds extremely hilarious.

I wonder where she got that....?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I wonder where she got that....?

:blush: Possibly from me but I like to blame her father. :D

Alfred North Whithead

So, barefoot...is that you in the electric chair? Oh, my bad, I just realized that's Barbie. What a great experiment for a kid to do. Correction... what a great set-up. I have no idea what she was trying to show, but it looks great. Put that photo on her college app's.

Perhaps she could do a project on fossil dating techniques, carbon dating, building and evolutionary tree, that type of thing. Just a thought. Darin

i just started the procedure today. went out and got the slabs and getting the fossils out.

-Shamus

my fossils are to old to be dating :P (there old because there paleozoic :P )

-Shamus

Say what? :blink:

The idea of demonstrating the process of fossilization sounds the best but which process? How about concentrate on casts and molds? Just use a seashell to make a plaster mold and use the mold to make a plaster cast. You could show internal and external molds and casts and compare them with the original shell.