Where Should I Go Today?

Frigid

Well I've got a big day of nothing ahead of me, so I thought I would wake up early and try to get some fossils! I can either go to the Waco shale pit or check out Whiskey Bridge - what do you folks think I should do? Where do you guys want some pictures from?

Any info on either site would be welcome too (good places to check, where to stay away from, or any other data you can think of). Maybe in a few weeks I'll let you all pick somewhere more exciting to send me off to harvest pictures from; could be fun. ^_^

[edit: for maximum smiley efficiency]

Edited by Frigid

Nox Noctis Est Nostri

The Waco shale pit sounds interesting.--Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

The Waco shale pit sounds interesting.--Tom

From what I've read about it, I was leaning towards the shale pit too. Seems to have a good variety.

Nox Noctis Est Nostri

Frigid.... I hope this endeavour is a succesful one, look forward to the pictures (and fossils)... :)

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

I just landed here in Waco. all the tools are outside of the car in I'm ready to get to work! Oh how I love you smart phone. Pics soon to come, I'll be sure to let you guys know when I come out your next in case you'd like to tag along.

Wish me luck - now where are those ammonites...

Nox Noctis Est Nostri

I just landed here in Waco. all the tools are outside of the car in I'm ready to get to work! Oh how I love you smart phone. Pics soon to come, I'll be sure to let you guys know when I come out your next in case you'd like to tag along.

Wish me luck - now where are those ammonites...

Find anything?!?!?

Yikes. I've been busy, but there's nothing like suspense is there?

It wasn't a total wash, but it definitely wasn't my best work. It's actually a pretty big place and I was a little mesmerized by how autumn was treating the patch. It's actually a very serene area. Ducks on the pond, tall reeds everywhere, and multiple water veins constantly gurgling and running in the background.

Anyhow, I was more busy hiking around and getting a look at the place than anything. Unless there's some sort of path (which I would be very annoyed to learn about) it isn't that easy to get to far side of the lot.

Didn't come away with anything stellar. One somewhat dubious ammonite (micro), multiple agatized snail remnants but nothing large, and some sort of small seed-like thing. No idea what it is but it has 4 raised ridges that all meet at a point like a seed. I'll post what pictures I managed to get, but guess who forgot to charge the camera battery before they left?

Nox Noctis Est Nostri

Heard it had ben hit hard by a few groups recently and then no rain between. Did you know you need to get permission from the Corp? They seem to give it easily but just don't want to see you get into trouble without knowing. Someone on the forum has the telephone number. FYI the only trail I know of is the wooden steps down from the parking lot to the pit. From there it's just about wandering around and not sinking into deep mud. And it is a long hard haul across to the far end by the spillway.

Yeah, if you look at the satellite photos, there is a nice path around the interior and lots of open area. Looks a lot different when you get down in there. Tons of thick overgrowth and cat tails everywhere. Still some open areas.

Yeah, if you look at the satellite photos, there is a nice path around the interior and lots of open area. Looks a lot different when you get down in there. Tons of thick overgrowth and cat tails everywhere. Still some open areas.

If I use google maps (or something similar), what do I type in to find the pit? I'm just curious to see what the pit/area looks like.

Daryl.