Misc Texas Pleistocene

Uncle Siphuncle

Here is a suite of TX Pleistocene specimens for your perusal and comments. A couple of vert views are supplementary view of a couple verts from my previous post. I ran out of space with the 10 image limit.

The jaw sort of throws me off. It lacks the complex enamel folds typical of horse teeth. Maybe someone can tell me it these are just really worn down teeth from a Pleistocene horse ready for the glue factory. Note the pits on the lingual and labial sides of the teeth as well. I've since scribed away most of the consolidated sandy matrix seen on the teeth.

I sure wish this sloth jaw had some teeth in it. The 4 empty sockets left me still looking for my first sloth tooth.

As for the big verts, I assume we are looking at spinous processes of a couple mammoth verts, although the big one at 12.5 inches wide dwarfs the smaller one. Both are heavily mineralized.

post-1-1191579192_thumb.jpg

post-1-1191579203_thumb.jpg

post-1-1191579216_thumb.jpg

post-1-1191579227_thumb.jpg

post-1-1191579245_thumb.jpg

post-1-1191579265_thumb.jpg

post-1-1191579276_thumb.jpg

post-1-1191579285_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I can't tell you why the horse teeth have that appearance. They don't seem inordinately worn down. They're not at an EARLY stage of wear, are they?

Here's what a senile Equus horse jaw looks like.

----Harry Pristis

post-1-1191579368_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

• 1 month later...

Quite nice sloth? claw. Even if it`s a senile horse, the bone preservation is nice...If there is a claw, maybe there is a jaw! Keep on trying! ;)