For The Sharktooth Hill Collectors

Northern Sharks

Since I just purchased a nice I.desori from Bakersfield, can any of you local collectors give me an idea as to how common they are compared to I.hastalis or I.planus. Elasmo says they are relatively uncommon, but does that mean 1 for every 20 planus, every 50, more? Also, I've seen one dealer say there's a very narrow form of I. hastalis from Bakersfield as well. Any truth to this, or is it just desori+hype? I'll post a pic of the tooth in my gallery this weekend. Thanks in advance

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Already in the Middle Miocene dental characteristics (tooth function) for desori are decidedly different if compared to hastalis. The "narrow" form of hastalis seems to generally occur in relatively smaller teeth and could very well be a ontogenetic tooth character rather than evidence of yet another shark at STH. Also if it weren't ontogeny, then it would still seem like it would fit within the morphological 'range' of hastalis. Btw, this narrrow/wide variation is not the same juxtaposition you see in Lee Creek Isurus (Cosmopolitodus).

As far as # of true desori teeth, that too is a little hard to say without having access to collections that have no or little collecting bias. I do think it is safe to say though that for each desori you will have to find dozens if not more of planus and hastalis.

• I found this Informative 1

Northern Sharks,

I can tell you that one day I found 49 hastalis, 24 planus and 5 oxyrinchus. On another day I found 43 hastalis, 24 planus, and 5 oxyrinchus. There was also a day when I found 57 hastalis, 30 planus, and no oxyrinchus. I pick up every tooth that is more than 50% complete because I have been interested in narrowing down the rarity/abundance of the STH animals for a while.

Yeah, some dealers try to push a not-so-odd variation as a different species. As noted by isurus90064, there appears to be only one form of STH hastalis and you can find juveniles to adults.

Jess

Since I just purchased a nice I.desori from Bakersfield, can any of you local collectors give me an idea as to how common they are compared to I.hastalis or I.planus. Elasmo says they are relatively uncommon, but does that mean 1 for every 20 planus, every 50, more? Also, I've seen one dealer say there's a very narrow form of I. hastalis from Bakersfield as well. Any truth to this, or is it just desori+hype? I'll post a pic of the tooth in my gallery this weekend. Thanks in advance

Nice to have some solid stats from siteseer. I did something similar and need to find my notebook on that.

To add one other comment, the 4th Isurus that occurs at STH as well is retroflexus. This is the rarest of Isurus from here.

There was a spot on the back side of hanglider where I was finding them at about a 1 per every 5 planus.

John

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

Thanks for the input guys. Here's the tooth

post-77-035811500 1290423014_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

That's a very nice speciman. Because of their smallish size I use to give them away during my Kids programs. Here's a nice little guy.

John

post-1292-028784700 1290433533_thumb.jpg

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!