College Help!

PaleoPastels

Ok. So, since I was little I have always wanted a science-related career and I have always kinda wanted to be a paleontologist. Finding fossils is far more than a hobby to me. Thing is, I want to be a paleontologist in Texas so I would have to go to school in Texas. I honsetly am dumb and extremely confused as far a the college world. Anytime I google I get stupid answers that arnt helpful at all! I just learned there are required classes before I even go to a school and the SAT. It doesnt make sense to me-they never told me that in high school! I dont know how many years it would take me to even get at least Bachelors degree in paleontology or what kinds of classes I would have to take. I dont know of any online courses that could help me either. I dont wanna take out a college loan either because thats what my mom did that made us VERY broke growing up. I would move to Allen, TX if that helps too. Any paleontologists out there- Please, I need your help.

Also I dont wanna to be a paleontologist for money. I just want to understand ancient life and feel accomplished to say to my self "Wow, Im really an actual paleontologist!" If people ask me if im a paleontologist I want to be able to tell them "Yes, I am!" I want to find fossils for museums and teach younger kids too. Excavating would be fun too although most paleontologists end up in museums- which is fine cuz I love working in a museum!

wow... essay subject. I assume that you are the mother-looking person in the photo of two gals. So you are older than the average student. (And I don't mean this in a bad way). I have no idea where Allen is and what sorts of college is there, but the first thing I would do is send you back to school. Jumping into college full time as a person who is older than say 18 or 20 can be very difficult. It is a total frame shift from whatever you might be doing now... working or raising that little one. I've seen many people try. It is do-able, but it is a lot more work than many folks think they are signing up for. Just be warned. Most colleges, certainly community colleges, can be attended one class at a time. This might be a good way to start.

A few things you should know. For the past 15 yrs or so, there was no degree in paleontology available in the USA. Paleo types generally have a degree in biology or geology, with classes taken in the field that is not their major. Mine, f'rinstance is in biology, but I have taken a bunch of geology classes (all of them AFTER I got my Bachelor's). Even Master's and PhD's are in one of those two fields, not paleo. In the past few years, I believe that one college out there has re-instated their paleo degree program. I can't remember if it is Montana State or Michigan, or...? So where does this leave us? Find out if there are any bio or geology classes available in Allen. And go take them in your spare time.

And, just because you want to be a paleontologist in TX doesn't limit your schooling to TX. You can learn this stuff anywhere and apply it to TX. The little gal in the photo suggests your maybe limited as to where and when you can move around. If you want to work in a museum, TX Tech U has one of the finest Museum Studies programs in the country. You can learn bio, geology AND museum stuff in Lubbock. And then, watch out world... Larsa is coming to a museum near you.

As for online courses... I will claim ignorance inthis one, but there must be something out there.

There that's my ramble... hope it helps. Feel free to ask more Q's.

Edited by jpc

wow... essay subject. I assume that you are the mother-looking person in the photo of two gals. So you are older than the average student. (And I don't mean this in a bad way). I have no idea where Allen is and what sorts of college is there, but the first thing I would do is send you back to school. Jumping into college full time as a person who is older than say 18 or 20 can be very difficult. It is a total frame shift from whatever you might be doing now... working or raising that little one. I've seen many people try. It is do-able, but it is a lot more work than many folks think they are signing up for. Just be warned. Most colleges, certainly community colleges, can be attended one class at a time. This might be a good way to start.

A few things you should know. For the past 15 yrs or so, there was no degree in paleontology available in the USA. Paleo types generally have a degree in biology or geology, with classes taken in the field that is not their major. Mine, f'rinstance is in biology, but I have taken a bunch of geology classes (all of them AFTER I got my Bachelor's). Even Master's and PhD's are in one of those two fields, not paleo. In the past few years, I believe that one college out there has re-instated their paleo degree program. I can't remember if it is Montana State or Michigan, or...? So where does this leave us? Find out if there are any bio or geology classes available in Allen. And go take them in your spare time.

And, just because you want to be a paleontologist in TX doesn't limit your schooling to TX. You can learn this stuff anywhere and apply it to TX. The little gal in the photo suggests your maybe limited as to where and when you can move around. If you want to work in a museum, TX Tech U has one of the finest Museum Studies programs in the country. You can learn bio, geology AND museum stuff in Lubbock. And then, watch out world... Larsa is coming to a museum near you.

As for online courses... I will claim ignorance inthis one, but there must be something out there.

Heh, don't assume.

I will add to the actual topic of this post in a bit.

cheers,

PzF

In the past few years, I believe that one college out there has re-instated their paleo degree program. I can't remember if it is Montana State or Michigan, or...?

University of Michigan (not that other Michigan school) has always had a PhD paleo program and still does. I know of NO school that offers a BS/BA in paleo. Generally you get a BS/BA in what ever and apply to graduate school at a university with a paleo program. There are very few schools that offer a graduate paleo program.

crinus

I am going back to school right now working on a bachelors in biology. It is my passion and a couple years ago I decided I wanted to earn a degree in something I am actually interested in.

I will use my program as an example, but it should be similar. I did my first two years at a community college (cheaper) where I took classes to fulfill the foundation curriculum that the four year school requires. The foundations courses are normally things like one science sequence, college algebra, social sciences, foreign language, humanities, english, etc. These are your basic courses and all degree programs are going to require such things.

At some point you will begin your core courses, electives, etc. For my program I am required to take chemistry, organic chem, physics, general biology, ecology, calculus for life sciences, genetics, etc. I am also required to take 25 credits in biology electives that are composed of many choices where I can focus on a few different areas. Finally, I am required to take 9 credits in scientific writing.

Research possible schools and ask questions of their staff or simply look up the school online and check out what programs they offer. crinus had the best advice for paleo specifically. You will probably have to earn a bs or ba and then get into a paleo program.

Edited by RickNC

Go for it! You have been given some good advice so far. There are many different ways to achieve your goal and you shouldn't feel freaked out by the issues of what you didn't take in HS or the cost. I have a daughter in HS and we are just starting to explore these issues. If you can go to school near home and don't have a high room and board that helps. There are all kinds of programs for assistance. Going to a state school if you are a resident will cost less. As mentioned you can get a great deal of credits out of the way at community colleges. Also most colleges have good counseling services so you just need to find and speak with the right people who will help you develop a plan for getting to that degree.

I sometimes regret that I didn't go into science. When I was younger I had two passions: Science and Being Creative. I thought there was NO WAY I would ever be able to handle all the memorization, latin names, etc. and so I went into design. I went to a great school (University of Cincinnati*) and began a career as an industrial designer. That lead me to exhibit design and now I specialize in hands-on science and interactive environments, especially science related stuff. I now have the best of both worlds. I also thought it would be great to teach science but instead I create settings for informal education. My dream job would be running the exhibit department in a Natural History Museum. A dream that could still come true (and I'm 52).

I have belonged to numerous Paleontological Societies where I get to meet and interact with both professionals and amateurs. I have written articles and numerous field guides, I study geology and paleontology HARD in my spare time along with collecting fossils and truly consider it my great avocation.

*Univ. of Cincinnati has a well respected geology department and there is a great deal of stratigraphy and paleontology to be studied right there.

FYI The University of Texas here in Austin has a huge geology department but I hear it is hard to get into. But there are many other geology schools across this "geo-rich" state. heck, oil money made UT what it is.

So start doing some research and don't get discouraged by this crappy economy we are all now struggling through. I've been thru a few now and life will get better...

JP, I don't know how to say this but you may need glasses.

Larsa is the young lady in the pic and I believe that's her boyfriend in the dark hair..

Welcome to the forum!

O.O that is my boyfriend in the photo!!! I am actually 19 and I dont have any kids....

Here is a list of graduate schools with paleontology programs in vert paleo. There really is no such thing as an undergrad program in paleo however many universities with grad programs in paleo have undergrad programs geared in that direction.

http://www.vertpaleo.org/Membership/GradPrograms.cfm

cheers,

PzF

Interesting that on your list, only ONE school uses the word "paleontology" to describe their department.

Interesting that on your list, only ONE school uses the word "paleontology" to describe their department.

Yes, it is pretty common. Most departments fall under biology or geology. It is really the academic staff that makes it paleo. If there are paleontologists there, you can work with them and get the background you need.

As mentioned above, there really isn't anyway to get a paleo degree at a Bachelors level. You will need to get a B.S. degree in geology, then go to graduate school to get a Master of Science (M.S.)degree with a paleo emphasis and then a PhD in paleo. A B.S. degree will take at least 4 years to complete, a M.S. degree 2-3 years, and a PhD at least 2-3 years.

You may need to take out a student loan to get your B.S. degree. Better to take out a loan and pay it back when you get out of college than end up with a career working in fast food. If your family doesn't have a lot of money, there are ways to get financial aid (like loans). Talk with the finacial aid folks at the school you are interested in attending. You will also need to find out what kinds of tests they want from a high school graduate to apply for enrollment -- like the SAT or the ACT or both.

As you will need to go to graduate school to get your M.S. and PhD, you will need to keep your grades high, especially in your geoscience courses. That means lots of time studying and doing home work.

You can go to school in any state, not just Texas.

As for making lots of money, that's probably not going to happen as a scientist. But you can make a very good salary working in the academic world as a scientist. Certainly you can make more money as a scientist than someone serving fast food.

Go to college. If you put the effort in to do well, you'll never regret it.

Salaries for paleontologists average $67K. I suspect that number is raised by the ones working for oil companies.

I second this. Tenured professors can make a fair amount as well.

cheers,

-PzF

Edited by paleozoicfish

University of Michigan (not that other Michigan school) has always had a PhD paleo program and still does. I know of NO school that offers a BS/BA in paleo. Generally you get a BS/BA in what ever and apply to graduate school at a university with a paleo program. There are very few schools that offer a graduate paleo program.

crinus

On the contrary: Montana State University has B.S. Paleo program. (I have my B.S. in Paleontology from there). Either Penn State or U Penn has one as well. In addition, you'd be surprised at how many universities have graduate paleontology programs. Granted, the majority of paleontologic research these days goes on in Biology or Geology departents, and very few universities have a "Department of Paleontology".

Bobby

Larsa-

Please accept my apologies. I only gave the photo a quick glance. Boy do I feel like a schmuck. Where's that little smileyface icon that's all blushing with embarassment?

Yes Roz, I need glasses, but its a new thing and I am still in denial. Look... there they are sitting next to my mouse pad.

Anyway, Larsa, you've got tons of good advice here from all sorts of folks. I hope it helps you get started in the right direction. Its a great gig to be in. You probably won't get rich, but you can make a living, and have fun doing it. Every now and then I have to step back and say to myself..."Wow, and I get paid to do this?"

hahah JP. We all need to make money to live but, like its been said here already.Sometimes gratifaction in our work is the best paycheck of them all. I was asked when i was younger by a counsler "If you had a billion dollars,what would you do with your time??" Quickly my answer was "Diving." She said,"Then thats what you should do with your life." 15 years later i was still working as a commercial diver and have made a good life for myself....Well until I was crushed by 2 pipes I was welding on 100 feet underwater lol. Now I have to go to school and figure out what to do with myself.(Thay have to pay for it.)

Dont be discouraged by anything.Stay focused on your long term and short term goals. Have fun.

Thanks again to every one :) I really dont care about being rich, I just want to be able to understand ancient creatures and find them. I know I can go to any state for college, but Texas is my home and as soon as I get back im staying there! XD I have college paleontology books I read at my work-I just dont have the piece of paper that proves im smart. I dont want to be considered an "amatuer" at paleontology anymore, I wanna be amazing. I really want to be professional which I feel requires school...although I do know some self-taught paleontologists...

Larsa,

You can also go to a locam museum and speek to a staff palologist or geologest and pick their brain for some direction. They might even be looking for a few people to volenteer on a dig or two. Get involved anyway you can. As for school, go for a bio or geo undergrad degree if you want but the book work is not as much fun as digging. Good luck, Darin

Hi Larsa,

UTA, UTD, UNT, SMU, and Navarro college in the DFW area all have faculty that are paleontologists (and Dallas Paleo Society members).

Your clarity of what you want to accomplish with your education is great.

Tony

Edited by Tony Eaton

The Mesa Lands Community College in Tucumcari NM offers an AA in Paleontology. The primary instructor is Hans Hungerbuehler, a German Paleontologist specializing in Triassic Vertebrates.

Once you are enrolled, there are a number of organisations that can provide some grants to help you with your education. Off of the top of my head, you might check the Society for Sedimentary Geology (SEPM), the American Association of Petroleum Geologists (AAPG), the Paleontological Society, the Geological Society of America (GSA), the Houston Gem and Mineralogical Society (HGMS) and numerous other organisations. All of these organisations have websites for you to check. They would also be a good source of information on what universities offer the programs you are looking for.

Hope this helps.

Edited by R0ckhamm3r

As mentioned above, there really isn't anyway to get a paleo degree at a Bachelors level. You will need to get a B.S. degree in geology, then go to graduate school to get a Master of Science (M.S.)degree with a paleo emphasis and then a PhD in paleo. A B.S. degree will take at least 4 years to complete, a M.S. degree 2-3 years, and a PhD at least 2-3 years.

Go to college. If you put the effort in to do well, you'll never regret it.

Good advice, but from what I've seen 5+ years is more realistic for the PhD. On the other hand, some universities will allow exceptional students to bypass the M.Sc. Start with the B.Sc. and see where it takes you.

Don

Hi Larsa,

I can't offer much advice re the paleontology - you would know a lot more about this than me. But I had to respond.

Make sure that you follow your passion. I am expert at this. Whatever you do, don't get off that track. I have seen the consequences of this many times and felt them personally. If paleontology is your passion, which I am picking up that it is, you should make it the focus of your direction. Don't be discouraged by years of uni as a lot do. Personally, I found uni easier than high school and it becomes easier again if you have a passion for it. I could go on and on here re finances etc etc but I won't..

In a nutshell, don't ever ever ever give up on a passion. That would be a sad thing. Do what you have to do and you will have a wonderful career. One where you bounce out of bed when the alarm goes off in the morning, instead of groaning and rolling back over. Good luck with it all.