Alberta

xenacanthus

i was wondering if there is any laws that says you cannot take fossils from alberta and take them to ontario

i was wondering if there is any laws that says you cannot take fossils from alberta and take them to ontario

You can take small amounts of invertebrate fossils but no vertebrate material

Cephalopods rule!!

One can surface collect with consent from thte land owner, you would be surpized what is just laying on the surface.

All fossils found are owned by the Province and can be removed from the Province with the propper papers ( lots of luck) :o

so let me get this strait i can't bring back any vertebrae's back to toronto but i can bring a small amount of inverts and how small is a small amount of inverts

so let me get this strait i can't bring back any vertebrae's back to toronto but i can bring a small amount of inverts and how small is a small amount of inverts

Don't know what's considered a small amount but as I stated above be careful. The way I read it, a permit is required for all fossils. You may want to contact the Royal Tyrrell Museum in Drumheller, Alberta for more details. I know several amateurs that will not bring anything back from Alberta because of the permit requirement.

Dan

what are some invertebraes that can be found around drumheller or close by

I think you can find some marine shells in Horse Thief Canyon which is close to Drumheller. I don't have any specifics on the location but I do recall reading about the canyon somewhere.

grampa dino probably knows more about the area than me.

Dan

Edited by palaeopix

Looks like Alberta is not really the place to be collecting if you are not a resident. The rules are a bit more relaxed here in British Columbia and we have all sorts of goodies to collect. The relaxed condition may not last much longer though as I understand that BC is trying to implement similar laws to those in Alberta.

If you are ever in the area I'm sure I can point you towards something neat: trilobites, ammonites, crabs, fish, flowers etc...

Dan

Looks like Alberta is not really the place to be collecting if you are not a resident. The rules are a bit more relaxed here in British Columbia and we have all sorts of goodies to collect. The relaxed condition may not last much longer though as I understand that BC is trying to implement similar laws to those in Alberta.

If you are ever in the area I'm sure I can point you towards something neat: trilobites, ammonites, crabs, fish, flowers etc...

Dan

Thanks guy and the same back at you

Just take a look at the first PDF = Macro sites it will give anyone a good idea what is here