How Much Are These Worth?

Vleuver

Hello,

Im Vincent and im 15 Years old and i started collecting fossils. I wonder how much these are. Number one is a REAL globidens mosasaur jaw, number two is a fake one ( the teeth are placed into the matrix, also some chunks of bone in the jaw ) and the third is a 4,5 CM Megalodon teeth i found in South Africa. ( Thanks to werner lehmann )

Can anybody tell me what its worth? :

mosasauruskaakecht.png

Mosasauruskaak.png

IMG_8605.jpg

I also would like to know if its a good idea to preperate the tooth of the real jaw so you can see them better?

And is it a good idea to put the fake jaw in the water so the sediment vanishes and i have teeth?

Edited by Vleuver

Yes the second pic is a composit piece. As to value, I can't be sure but I always say the value of any object is the most someone will buy it from you for. Might look better in your collection anyway but if you really want a $$$ value, look on some fossil sale sites and e-bay for similar ones and that will give you a good starting point. Nice tooth. Also welcome to fossil hunting, the greatest hobby on Earth. Looking forward to seeing more of your finds. Darin

Yes the second pic is a composit piece. As to value, I can't be sure but I always say the value of any object is the most someone will buy it from you for. Might look better in your collection anyway but if you really want a $$$ value, look on some fossil sale sites and e-bay for similar ones and that will give you a good starting point. Nice tooth. Also welcome to fossil hunting, the greatest hobby on Earth. Looking forward to seeing more of your finds. Darin

Thanks for your reply.

The problem is that i can't find a similair object as the mosasaur globidens jaw or the megalodon tooth :(

Your shark tooth is, I believe, from a Carcharodon carcharias (Great White), not a Carcharocles megalodon ("Meg").

The evaluation of things like fossils (each being unique) is highly subjective; they are worth what someone is willing to pay for them. Beyond that, studying what similar items realize at auction on Ebay, and/or visiting seller's websites, can give you a basic idea.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I agree with Auspex that the shark tooth belongs to C. carcharias. A great find in either case.

It's tough to put a dollar value on a jaw like that. You can get teeth as inexpensively as $7-15 (USD) each even for a bigger one so a jaw with four teeth would be more valuable than just the sum of the teeth - maybe more than double.

If you have little experience with prepping, you can work in spots away from the teeth so that if you slip you won't accidentally damage one. With practice you will gain a good idea of the force that needs to be applied to chip away different amounts of matrix. With patience an interesting specimen can become a more attractive one.

Great fossils and photos Vincent! Collect what you love and your collection will be priceless. :D

Thanks!

Yes, i think that the meg or whatever teeth is priceless for me. It was a find on the holiday i liked the most of my life..

Thanks!

Yes, i think that the meg or whatever teeth is priceless for me. It was a find on the holiday i liked the most of my life..

That is really fantastic to discover while on vacation. Most of my fossils were collected with my wallet :o but as you know very well there is nothing that compares with the thrill of discovery. I collect flora from the Oligocene of Oregon and never lose the excitement of finding the next leaf. The fossils that you personally find are truly priceless! Have you visited Henskens Fossil Shop? Theo is great to do business with and they have many superb fossils in a wide variety of categories. Looking forward to more of your fantastic fossil finds. B)

Edited by piranha

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Thanks!

Yes,don't fixate on the value of that Carcharodon carcharis tooth. It's a great find from an uncommon location. Werner provided me some very nice examples of these teeth in a trade we did about a year ago.

the value of something is what someone is willing to pay for it.

And it also depends on location......like if im trying to sell some bracs around here were you can basicly find them any where Ill only get a few cents for them. But if i sell to people on ether of the coast or other places were the bracs arn't found, then i might be able to get a few more bucks.

Hey,

What do you guys think about the mosasaur globidens jaw? Is it real? I think so because at the side where its broken you can see the hole's in the bone..

I also have another option.

I can put the fake mosasaur jaw in the water so the sediment solves and i have teeth?

Edited by Vleuver

What do you guys think about the mosasaur globidens jaw? Is it real? I think so because at the side where its broken you can see the hole's in the bone..

I have reservations about it being Globidens; the teeth seem too conical.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Hello,

What means conical? im not that good at english and when i use a translator it says something i also dont understand.

And if it isnt globidens, what can it be?

What means conical? im not that good at english and when i use a translator it says something i also dont understand.

And if it isnt globidens, what can it be?

"Conical" means cone-shaped (^).

I am sure it is a mosasaur, and it could be Globidens. I am used to seeing Globidens teeth that are more "globular" (a flattened sphere).

A photo of the top side of the Globidens teeth and jaw would be helpful. In a complete jaw the teeth are space closer together because they fed on clams and other shell fish. Your jaw doesn't look correct because of the tooth spacing unless there are missing teeth. The jaws from Morocco are sometimes composits I think you are aware of.--Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Dear Vleuver,

You've got some fantastic specimens there. I agree with Auspex, these are, most likely, Globidens jaw. Therefore, I would not recommend you to try to isolate the teeth, because you might damage the rest of the bone. If you are interested in selling it, it is probably more worth complete. Beside, the bone itself might important for species determination.

G

I agree with auspex... Globidens has very rounded teeth.

The other thing to consider is that the Moroccans might have created this jaw with teeth that are broken on one side, so if you take them out of the rock, they will have an ugly side. Right now oyu have several teeth showing only their good side. I did prep one of these jaws for someone, and sure enough, as soon as I removed matrix on some of the teeth, there were brokenn edges and missing enamel.

Edited by jpc

I hesitated to post on the globidens because I didn't want to burst bubbles, but it sure looks like a composit of some loose teeth and bone fragments. Notice where the teeth connect to the jaw - there is a bunch of globbed in matrix. I think if you soak that in water you will find you end up with a bunch of bone fragments and crowns of teeth. The teeth almost look like ptychodus teeth rather than globidens from the angle shot.

Edited by Xiphactinus