Questions On A Ebay Guitar Fish

piranha

Came across this one at ebay and would be grateful if the forum fish experts could weigh in on this.

I'm not familiar with the use of a "limestone veneer" as a repair/reconstruction method for matrix. My second question has to do with the "sealant" process. Generally my preference has always been to reverse any varnishing of fossils although I realize this is not always feasible or practical. Does sealant in this case mean used as "consolidant" or "paint/tint" or both? I guess it would be helpful to know what the acceptable and customary preparation techniques are with these particular fossil fish.

Since I don't have any fossils from Lebanon I really feel like a fish out of water! :P

Thanks for any insight on the overall quality of the fossil and its preparation/repair.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

After looking at it, I wonder whether the "limestone veneer" referred to might not be a ground matrix-and-glue paste that was slathered on to conceal the (as mentioned) major blemishes in the matrix (and to repair the fish as well). It also looks like there is a fair amount of painted "restoration" on some of the fins and such. As for the sealant, I see no reason to assume that it is reversible, or what you might find underneath if you did remove it. To me, the restoration work falls on the "cosmetic" side of the line.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!