Restoring Teeth

falcondriver

I buddy of mine has a nice tooth but we are curious if it can be repaired without damaging the tooth."Remove the white stuff"

Thanks FD

post-435-1211145311_thumb.jpg

post-435-1211145323_thumb.jpg

Unless I'm mistaken, the tooth is already as damaged as it's going to get. I think the white areas are missing the enamel altogether and not just a case of them coated in something. I've heard various theories what causes this, from plant roots to snails. I have a monster Chilean mako that suffers from the same fate. It looks nice wet, but has a lot of white when dry.

post-77-1211150935_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

The white is from bleaching by the sun. I have several in that condition. It is what it is & I don't think you should try & change it. I also have a theory that consant high heat from the sun causes the larger ones to fracture. Just my opinion.

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

The white is from bleaching by the sun. I have several in that condition. It is what it is & I don't think you should try & change it. I also have a theory that consant high heat from the sun causes the larger ones to fracture. Just my opinion.

I looked at it again you guys are right.

Thanks FD

I buddy of mine has a nice tooth but we are curious if it can be repaired without damaging the tooth."Remove the white stuff"

Thanks FD

I agree with NS -- the enameloid is etched.

When I see this sort of etching in mammal teeth, I imagine that it is caused by acids produced by decomposition of the organism, or, later, by acids in the soil or groundwater. But, that's just my imagining.

(I collect antique bottles, and I can testify that the soil acids even etch (dissolve) components in glass.)

Such etching could conceivably be buffed out in the case of the relatively-thick enamel on a mammal tooth (as with a glass bottle). The enameloid on a shark tooth is thin, and you probably would alter the tooth with buffing, even grinding right through the enameloid to the underlying pallial dentine.

Keep hunting, and you'll probably find a tooth in better condition.

--------Harry Pristis

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I dont konw the exact chemical mechanism, but when a tooth are under the air exposition, become altered in very few time, may be in months.

all my vineyard shark teeth I have says this.

There is not any repair posible.

:mellow: