Permits, Selling And Buying

Molly

"P.S. For those who disagree, can I still be your friend?"

Sure you can for a price: 1. Directions to your three favorite, secret fossil sites. 2. I get my pick from your private collection and 3. I get one pick from any future fossil you might find.

Seriously, what is so good about Florida's law? I much prefer Alabama's fossil laws.

Eh, friends are overrated, anyway. :P:D

What are Alabama's laws (in a nutshell)?

Edited by 32fordboy

"P.S. For those who disagree, can I still be your friend?"

Sure you can for a price: 1. Directions to your three favorite, secret fossil sites. 2. I get my pick from your private collection and 3. I get one pick from any future fossil you might find.

With friends like you, who needs in-laws? :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest N.AL.hunter

Eh, friends are overrated, anyway. :P:D

What are Alabama's laws (in a nutshell)?

The Great State of Alabama has one law dealing with fossils: Thou shall not taketh the stateth fossilith [The fossilith being the whale] out from thy boundaries. And one admendment: All other fossilith found within thy boundaries are the property of Del N.AL.Hunter O'Neal.

OK, perhaps that last part isn't the law, but the state fossil is the only protected fossil.

I, on the other hand do need Knightia and Triceratops specimens. Knightia is our state fossil and Triceratops is our state dinosaur.

Yeah 23fordboynick, you can still be my friend. And I won't charge you the ridiculous fees the chargein Alabama. We oughta continue this discussion someday in the badlands. Or, are you a member of WIPS? If not,why not?

Whilst were on the general subject.....personally I thought that was a bit of a poor show the 'Ida' fossil going out of Germany.... basically to the 'highest bidder', (IF) anyone else did infact have chance to buy it.... so the underlying ideals of these state laws make some sense and consequently fossils of 'importance' should stay in the country they were found (in my opinion)....It begs the question though (who) decides what is a fossil of importance and the only answer I can come up with is museums/palaeontologists who have worked in or studied that field.... so to create these bridges to identify this material of importance and encourage material to be donated they should be more open and involve amateur collectors.... things like temporary displays of amateur collections, museum open events (not just invite the 'bigwigs') etc.... most amateurs would welcome professionals to view their material and consequently are useful to utilise when it suits a course of study, and should be percieved as an integral and important part of the study of palaentology...

Edited by Terry Dactyll

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Oh wow, thanks for all the replies! It seems I've sparked quite a discussion. I'm really enjoying reading all of these but I'm skint on time to create a substantial reply at the moment - just letting you guys know I do read your replies and I appreciate all of them! So thanks for taking the time of day :)

Hi Molly-

Are you in the Collections Management class that I came down to teach a few months back?... I told the CU kids about fossil preparation one afternoon.

I am in that class, and I believe I did meet you! Cool to see you here, and thanks for the information.

I, on the other hand do need Knightia and Triceratops specimens. Knightia is our state fossil and Triceratops is our state dinosaur.

Yeah 23fordboynick, you can still be my friend. And I won't charge you the ridiculous fees the chargein Alabama. We oughta continue this discussion someday in the badlands. Or, are you a member of WIPS? If not,why not?

Not a member of WIPS, though I do know some members. Right now, it's about time, more than anything. There's other stuff to focus on that has priority. Once a few projects are knocked out of the park I might join. Are you a member?

Yeah, I'm a member, but I don't go to meetings too much anymore since I'm in Casper. Its a 4 hr plus drive to Denver. When I lived in Laramie, Denver was do-able as an evening day trip, but no more. I have given a few talks at their meetings. They are a good bunch, and have good talks at their meetings (yeah, maybe even mine) and do lots of Colorado field trips in the summer. That fact alone is worth being a WIPSer.

Did you know Chris Weege and Dave Shmude? I was fortunate enough to go on their trip last year. What a hoot that bunch is. Fossils during the day, then gin and tonic as soon as the clock hits four. Paleo dudes can really put those things away. A solid week of fun, education, debate, and fossils.

Edited by 32fordboy

Did you know Chris Weege and Dave Shmude? I was fortunate enough to go on their trip last year. What a hoot that bunch is. Fossils during the day, then gin and tonic as soon as the clock hits four. Paleo dudes can really put those things away. A solid week of fun, education, debate, and fossils.

And you forgot to mention... gourmet food. Were you up there the night the wind snarge near blew the food tent over? Were you there the day out Tate Museum suburban's starter died? And we got it fixed for less than 200 bucks 20 miles from town? We spent our one day collecting insects and fishes. Yeah, Schmeege (as they are collectively known) are a fun-loving bunch. How do you know them? I've known those guys for at least 15 yrs.

Mom works in the same building as Chris. I didn't see any of the things happen that you mentioned, but a dust devil sucked my tent way up into the air as soon as I got it set up (with all my gear and a fully loaded cooler). Yes, and gourmet food. Scott is a great cook. He would signal us with this surplus orange smoke that looked pretty toxic.

I won't lie, that trip was one of the best experiences of my life and I'll try and make it next year depending on how business is going. So many cool things, the beauty of the terrain for sure (if you haven't gone in the last 2-3 years, we might have been at a different site, just up the hill from Camp Shmeege). Next year is a new site, too.

I was sitting on the edge of a cliff alone one evening, just enjoying the sunset casting yellow over the world (facing away from the sun), and a nighthawk flew by, no more than 10 feet away. It all happened in slow motion and was the most beautiful thing. I swear we made eye contact, but it didn't startle him or anything and he just calmly flew off. Of the whole trip, that part is most vivid.

Molly, sorry for hijacking the thread. It happens :blush:

continuing on the hijacking...

I can so relate. Many an evening in my first few field seasons working for the UW, I did exactly what you described with the nighthawk. We had them in Massachusetts where I grew up and Chicago were I went to school, but seeing them up close and personal in the wilds of WY elevated them to a near god-like level in my book. I am now a big fan of nighthawks. And agreed, my first summer experience in the field (again working for the UW) was one of the highlights of my life, and certainly formative; here I am still doing it and loving it 30 yrs later. This whole hobby is a great way to spend some quality time outdoors... and I don't have to kill anything, it's all already dead. (Nothing against all you hunters, I just don't do it myself).

This week at work, I have been cataloging the insects and fish we collected at in Cowley. We were there on June 20th. But there was a lot of folks there, and I can't say I actually met them all.

Bringing this all back to Molly and the class she is taking. Your professor JJE was there with me those first few field seasons in WY.

Edited by jpc

Just gonna bring this to a close here, thank you all so much for the ideas and information. It is all very valuable to me and helpful for me to develop a well-rounded view of the issue here - Sorry for being impersonal and not addressing individual posts, I suppose I created a hot thread at just the wrong time! I've been so busy studying for finals and dealing with the end of the school year.

But yeah, just a big thank-you to all who contributed!