Please Identify Fossil

mdd

• New Members

my dad found this lava rock 35 years ago somewhere around los angeles, ca. it has a large something in it which what looks a lot like a bone running thru it and out both ends. after 35 years of it sitting around i would like to know what it is. any advise from anyone what it is or how i go about finding out.

post-4520-020113100 1291089479_thumb.jpg

Im not a fossil expert, more of a rockhound. But there is alot of experts on here that can help more. But To me it looks to be [basalt] lava as you said. But if you post a couple more photos of the top and back side, that would help. Also google "Pahoehoe" and click images and you'll see what Im thinking. But I hope some new photos prove me wrong.

• New Members

Im not a fossil expert, more of a rockhound. But there is alot of experts on here that can help more. But To me it looks to be [basalt] lava as you said. But if you post a couple more photos of the top and back side, that would help. Also google "Pahoehoe" and click images and you'll see what Im thinking. But I hope some new photos prove me wrong.

thank you for your response. here is another picture from a different angle.post-4520-064028700 1291104746_thumb.jpg

Yeah - the cross-section in the last photo is very bone-ish. Ive seen a lot of whale bone with similar internal structure.

CBK

• New Members

Yeah - the cross-section in the last photo is very bone-ish. Ive seen a lot of whale bone with similar internal structure.

CBK

i was mistaken on the location this was found. it was found south of lone pine, ca. at a place called little lakes. could it still be a bone and how old may it be.post-4520-023060000 1291153288_thumb.jpgpost-4520-023060000 1291153288_thumb.jpg

Are we talking about Owens Valley here? If so, I don't think there are any "whale-age" rocks there; plenty of Permian to Triassic, though. This adds an interesting dimension...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Sorry mdd, With that location, Im sure its basalt lava.

Little lake south of Lone Pine along the 395post-4158-089195500 1291170384_thumb.jpg

But an interesting note, In my map search, I found out there is a trail inbetween the lake

and the volcanoe in the background Called "Fossil falls trail".

Why? Im not sure, never been there myself. But my guess is theres

probably empty tree cast in the lava flow. Maybe someone on the forum

has been there and can let us know.

That doesn't look one bit like whale bone - sorry guys. I'm not entirely sure that's fossil, or even sedimentary rock. The matrix around the bone-like object is also porous, and does not actually appear to be sedimentary in origin. I'm with Bdevey on this - that's volcanic. Not fossil.

Bobby

Volcanic Bison?

I agree with Bobby...randomly shaped volcanic rock. Bobby, I think you are starting to owe me lots of money for agreeing with you every cahance I get.

Ok, now I'm off to the fossil lab.

I don't see fossil here at all but I do see a lava tube cast. This is a lava flow that creates its own small tube within the lava field then cools forming a cast of the lava tube. I have seen these in Kenya.

I have been to fossil falls, nice short hike. It is called fossil falls because the lava flow blocked off the river and created a waterfall. No fossils, just cool geology (ton of arrowheads too, but I left them there, no collecting allowed) and a nice view from the "fossil" waterfall.

And that rock is a good example of basalt. Not a fossil. Sorry.