Gainesville Non Shark Tooth

Serack

I found this Saturday. I've gotten opinions that it might be a whale tooth, or a posterior alligator tooth because of the hollow nature.

post-462-1211231807_thumb.jpg

post-462-1211231820_thumb.jpg

post-462-1211231840_thumb.jpg

post-462-1211231854_thumb.jpg

post-462-1211231864_thumb.jpg

To me, it looks like 'gator.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I just cleaned out the sand in the core and took a few more pics

P.S. To be fair, the pic that caused someone to ID it as a whale tooth had it in the corner with a lot of other fossils and not much detail on this one tooth.

post-462-1211232923_thumb.jpg

post-462-1211232931_thumb.jpg

It's definitely not a posterior gator tooth, they aren't hooked and not as pointed. My bet would be whale tooth.

It's definitely not a posterior gator tooth, they aren't hooked and not as pointed. My bet would be whale tooth.

When I first found the tooth, I had never seen anything like it and my first thoughts were to tentatively rule out it being a posterior gator tooth for the same reasons.

besides, it's nothing like the 2 crocodile teeth that I found in the same spot.

The question is, if a whale tooth does not have it's root, is it this hollow?

Ummm.. I think so. Cris has one and its hollow at the base of the 2 inch long root.

i think its a squalodon atlanticus

I just looked at half a dozen pics of these on blackriverfossils.org and I am pretty much convinced this is the case. Thanks for the name, googling "whale teeth" wasn't cutting it.

The really wide, expanded root tells me its from a large tooted whale. In mammals, an open pulp cavity just means that the animal is young. I have a fur seal canine where the walls of the pulp cavity in the root are less than .5mm thick - so this was probably from a juvenile whale.

• I found this Informative 1

The really wide, expanded root tells me its from a large tooted whale. In mammals, an open pulp cavity just means that the animal is young. I have a fur seal canine where the walls of the pulp cavity in the root are less than .5mm thick - so this was probably from a juvenile whale.

Squalodon atlanticus is not known from Florida in the published literature, as far as I can determine. Worthy has a tooth that resembles Squalodon which he reports is from the Santa Fe River.

While Squalodon is problematical, there are plenty of other toothed whales to consider. Here is an image in my TEETH & JAWS album; I think there is more information there.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?autocom=gallery&req=si&img=290

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I don't have access to the article itself, but apparently Squalodon sp. was reported by Bryant (1991) from Florida, here's the citation info:

New early Barstovian (Middle Miocene) vertebrates from the upper Torreya Formation, eastern Florida panhandle

J. Daniel Bryant, Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology, 1991, 11(4):472-489

...but thats all the info I have. I'd be fairly shocked if Squalodon didn't show up in the middle Miocene of Florida.

Unless its a somewhat differentiated tooth of a basal odontocete, like platanistoids (e.g. Squalodon) I'm not a big fan of trying to ID isolated odontocete teeth. Its OK with non-delphinoids, but within Delphinoidea, there isn't a whole lot of variation.

I don't have access to the article itself, but apparently Squalodon sp. was reported by Bryant (1991) from Florida, here's the citation info:

New early Barstovian (Middle Miocene) vertebrates from the upper Torreya Formation, eastern Florida panhandle

J. Daniel Bryant, Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology, 1991, 11(4):472-489

...but thats all the info I have. I'd be fairly shocked if Squalodon didn't show up in the middle Miocene of Florida.

Unless its a somewhat differentiated tooth of a basal odontocete, like platanistoids (e.g. Squalodon) I'm not a big fan of trying to ID isolated odontocete teeth. Its OK with non-delphinoids, but within Delphinoidea, there isn't a whole lot of variation.

My guess is that this identification of a squalodont whale tooth from the Torreya Fm was reconsidered. These whales are considered to be platanistid Potamodelphis sp., according to Hulbert's 2001 book.

Hulbert does illustrate a Hadrodelphis tooth from a Gainesville creek that could be the whale in question.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

It looks like this one kinda Harry ? This is one that I found in a creek in Gatorville. B)B)B):D

post-23-1212033134_thumb.jpg

It's my bone!!!

It looks like this one kinda Harry ? This is one that I found in a creek in Gatorville. B)B)B):D

That's a lovely tooth. I've never found one nearly as nice as that in a Gainesville creek.

darn that's nice. Makes mine look weak =P

It's in the pictures on the forum heading and thanks guys . B)B)B):D

It's my bone!!!