Shark Tooth Prep

mopareddie

Hi all. I am thinking of making necklaces for my grandchildren from some of the shark teeth I have found here in the New Jersey cretaceous streams. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand the teeth should be hardened before I do this. How do you accomplish this. Any help or criticism is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ed.

Hi all. I am thinking of making necklaces for my grandchildren from some of the shark teeth I have found here in the New Jersey cretaceous streams. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand the teeth should be hardened before I do this. How do you accomplish this. Any help or criticism is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ed.

There is no need to "harden" fossil shark teeth before using them to make necklaces. I know of no way to actually harden shark teeth. Some fragile teeth may require consolidation to ensure they do not degrade past the condition that first required consolidation. For the typical NJ Cretaceous shark teeth you will find them quite hard in their natural form and ready for making necklaces.

Thanks for the quick reply. Seems I've been misinformed. Looks like I can get started on my "Special Stocking Stuffers". Thanks again and have a good holiday season.

• I found this Informative 1