Micro Air Abrasive Information

Archimedes

Anyone have information on a Micro Air Abrasive unit that are being used and I might want to buy to clean fossils.

www.paleotools.com sells crystal mark brand air abrasive units. they are in my opinion the best for your money.

i also have a thread on here somewhere that shows how you can make your own economy version.

I might be missing it, but all I find at paleotools.com are air scribes.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I might be missing it, but all I find at paleotools.com are air scribes.

here is what i found on bill's site

PALEO TOOLS IS NOW THE EXCLUSIVE DISTRIBUTOR OF

CRYSTAL MARK SWAM BLASTERS AND SUPPLIES

This is a line of high quality micro abrasive blasting systems and we are excited to make these available to you.

UNTIL WE CAN GET THEIR INFORMATION ONTO OUR WEB SITE, PLEASE CALL PALEO TOOLS FOR INFORMATION AND PRICING.

1-800-493-8130 OR 435-734-0148

For Crystal Mark product information, visit www.crystalmarkinc.com

hope this helps.

Brock

I use a Crystal Mark Eco Blaster, their low end model. I've had it 4 years and have prepped thousands of fossils with it. I usually blast echinoids with baking soda at 125 PSI with satisfactory results. I've used it on ammonites and bones as well, but 90% of its duty is gross blasting of echinoids with a .060 orifice. Sometimes I use a .030 orifice for detail work such as working between the articulated spines of Archaeocidaris echinoids in soft shale, but otherwise I use the larger orifice as it is much less prone to clogging due to foreign material in my recycled media or moisture in the compressor.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Like Dan, Ive also got the ECO Blaster and have done hundreds of fossils with it. Ive also got the big workhorse model COMCO 2000, but I use the ECO almost exclusivly so far. It all depends on how much you want to spend. Several years ago you could find the ECO on ebay once in awhile for 200 bucks, but now I think you have to spend at least 400 bucks for one? The Swamblast and Comco get rather expensive, but they both have several different models. Good luck whatever you get, and get ready for all the fun when you get one.

RB

Thank You for your help

It blasts the thin remaining veneer of matrix away from the fossil, in my case echinoids, much better than I can do with a scribe or brass brush. Basically it is a pencil tip sand blaster using media much softer than sand to remove rock without damaging the delicate features of the fossil. Well worth the money depending on what kinds of fossils you find. I've used it on bones as well. Some dinosaur guys use it on lots of bones.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."