Texas Treasure

CreekCrawler

Hello y'all I made a short trip Wednesday to that tried and true spot for sharks teeth in Sherman. I stayed from 9a- 2p "took a day off from work".There were storms brewing up near the Red River as I was heading into Sherman. I almost turned due east towards the Sulfur in hopes of beating the storm,but as I got closer to the creek the storm seemed to be heading north east so I stayed. I'm glad I did as I found some very different items other than the quarry I was after"sharks teeth". Ok, I need some of this stuff I'd. The small rodent jaw, the plate looking thing , and what seems to me as being a canine claw or something in the very bottom of the group photo.

thanks for lookin

Bpost-417-1211490534_thumb.jpg

Guest bmorefossil

let me begin by saying what a great trip you had, i love that arrow head, I think i have seen that plate looking thing before I know its fish so ill get the books out and start looking

Guest bmorefossil

the closest thing i can find to the thing at the top is an Acipenser cf A. oxyrhynchus, Gulf sturgeon — scute. and i think the rodent jaw is a beaver jaw but im not sure.

Great finds. The arrowhead is sweet! That is certainly a good "day off from work"

I can't say for certain because I can only see the top of the object in the picture, but the fossil at the bottom of the group picture looks suspiciously like an incisor tooth. Views from different angles would be very helpful in identifying it further.

Good trip!

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

I can't say for certain because I can only see the top of the object in the picture, but the fossil at the bottom of the group picture looks suspiciously like an incisor tooth. Views from different angles would be very helpful in identifying it further.

Good trip!

-Joe

ok, how do I post multiple pics??

ok, how do I post multiple pics??

after you select a pic, upload it, then rinse and repeat.

What are the phallic looking things

I think you are asking about the ptychodos whipplei teeth. :)

[/quote

Rince and repeat what "LOL" You need to spell it out a little better for this cat!

thanks

Rince and repeat what "LOL" You need to spell it out a little better for this cat!

thanks

nice find by the way

Ok I am assuming when you added your initial pic, you did it by clicking on the Browse button under the words Manage Current Attachments and selecting the picture of choice, from the folder on your computer somewhere. This will write the file path into the white text field next to the Browse button

Once you have done that, you click on the UPLOAD button right next to the Browse button.

Once you have uploaded, the text field next to the Browse button should be clear, and you can hit Browse again to find the next picture you wish to attach, and upload that too.

Repeat for each pic. The total file size must be below 2 Megs

Once the upload process is complete browse for the next picture and repeat the upload process, browse, upload, repeat.

thanks

nice find by the way

Ok I am assuming when you added your initial pic, you did it by clicking on the Browse button under the words Manage Current Attachments and selecting the picture of choice, from the folder on your computer somewhere. This will write the file path into the white text field next to the Browse button

Once you have done that, you click on the UPLOAD button right next to the Browse button.

Once you have uploaded, the text field next to the Browse button should be clear, and you can hit Browse again to find the next picture you wish to attach, and upload that too.

Repeat for each pic. The total file size must be below 2 Megs

Thanks Serack, I think I've figured it out! My pics are too big. Oh well, one at a time then!

Sorry about that I used to have it where you could add as many pics as you wanted in a thread as long as each pic wasn't over 2mb, but we had some problems with that so i changed the total post size to 2mb i think maybe i should change that.

Sorry about that I used to have it where you could add as many pics as you wanted in a thread as long as each pic wasn't over 2mb, but we had some problems with that so i changed the total post size to 2mb i think maybe i should change that.

No complaints here! Great forum, wouldn't change a thing! :)

Definitely a incisor, from what I'm not sure.

Thanks Anson, the rounded end is perfect. If the rounded end is the part that extended forward in the critters mouth it would be nice to get a positive id and see what this animal looked like! I can't think of any animal alive today that has that shape of an incisor!

B

Actually the flat end is the tooth end the round part is the root, It looks similar to your typical horse incisor but not worn any.

Actually the flat end is the tooth end the round part is the root, It looks similar to your typical horse incisor but not worn any.

You know I think you're right! I looked it over a bit more and can see the resemblance.

lol glad I added that last comment then

I'm suddenly blind and can't find it, but Anson has a sweet stickied topic somewhere that gives great advice on taking pictures of your fossils, one detail about the ways to get good file sizes.

They go way more technical than I am willing to go right now, but when I take a pic of a single item I personally usually only take it at 640x480, but when I take a pic of a collection like your first pic, I run it at 1600x1200

Someone suggested sticking to fine instead of superfine

Ok, now that I am collecting rather smallish pieces ......what are the best ways of displaying them? I have seen some nice boxes here and there on this forum. Are there any that are far superior than most or are they all about the same?

thanks

B

Oh ,and where can you buy these boxes?

lol glad I added that last comment then

I'm suddenly blind and can't find it, but Anson has a sweet stickied topic somewhere that gives great advice on taking pictures of your fossils, one detail about the ways to get good file sizes.

They go way more technical than I am willing to go right now, but when I take a pic of a single item I personally usually only take it at 640x480, but when I take a pic of a collection like your first pic, I run it at 1600x1200

Someone suggested sticking to fine instead of superfine

Gatorjames showed me a nice one of these today and I was wondering the same thing.

Just found this website

http://www.customdisplays.com/indian-arrow...play-cases.html

The one gatorjames had had a foam backing that pressed the displayed items against the glass and held them there.

The flat piece at the top of the photo looks like part of a softshell turtle plastron. Nice finds!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ