Texas Treasure

CreekCrawler

Guest bmorefossil
the closest thing i can find to the thing at the top is an Acipenser cf A. oxyrhynchus, Gulf sturgeon — scute. and i think the rodent jaw is a beaver jaw but im not sure.

The "plate" looks like a vertebral scute from the Carapace, (top) of a turtle. The Plastron, (belly) scutes are smooth. Looks very like a Trionyx sp.

Bill

Edit. Can you post a pic of the other side please. Croc scutes can be mistaken for turtle and vice versa.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

Google "Riker Mount Boxes", they are fairly inexpensive and come in multiple sizes and depths. For artifacts, I throw the cotton out, and spray paint the inside, then put the points in with "sticky tack". They adhere very well to the painted surface, especially if you use textured spray paint.

To hang them from the wall, I glue thin strips of board to the back of the bottom and top, then use picture eyebolts at the corners with wire. If you don't reinforce the back with the thin wood, they are very difficult to hang.

They hang very well, and make a good show this way, I'll try to get some pics this evening to show how I did it.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

The "plate" looks like a vertebral scute from the Carapace, (top) of a turtle. The Plastron, (belly) scutes are smooth. Looks very like a Trionyx sp.

Bill

Hi Bill I am very familiar with chelonians. :) Ok guess what species of tortoise I have. Hint it's the 4 th largest in the world!post-417-1211545379_thumb.jpg

4 partial Trionyx scutes and a Croc scute from Hamstead, Isle of Wight, Hampshire, England.

post-45-1211547528_thumb.jpg

post-45-1211547543_thumb.jpg

KOF, Bill.

Manouria emys

Thanks for pic. I'm sure it's a turtle vertebral scute.

KOF, Bill.

Manouria emys

Got it, Burmese Mountain Tortoise ! Great pet follows me around the yard!

B

The vertebral remains on the underneath of your scute are what I was looking for. These pic's of tortoises, which I took in NHM London, show the vertebrae fused to the carapace as in turtles.

post-45-1211550045_thumb.jpg

post-45-1211550059_thumb.jpg

KOF, Bill.

For display cases, I think it's hard to beat the Peter Consalvi classic wood and glass curio cases. I have one which is INCREDIBLE quality, given the <$100 price.

Peter Consalvi display cases

Here's the one I have:

weboakvit.jpg

It comes part-assembled - all you do is screw on the legs. I love mine, and will be buying one of the much larger coffee tables any day now for my growing collection of Texas fossils.

By the way, I'm am GREEN with envy for the arrowhead. I've hunted the Post Oak Creek site many, many times and I've never found any artifacts. In fact, in my time in Texas I've never found any arrowheads... I must be missing them every time. Last week it was the beautiful point from the North Sulfur River, and I was there that same day in the exact same place and found nothing. That sucks! :)

Every complex scientific problem has an elegant and simple solution... and it is wrong.

[ I've hunted the Post Oak Creek site many, many times place and found nothing. :)

I'm heading out Saturday morning! The point is the first that I have found intact..........well it's almost perfect....at least to me! I am very exited to have such an excellent collecting location within an hour of me. I live in Richardson.

Thanks for the display info. The display seems very reasonably priced! ;)

sweet teeth.waht area u find

Very nice finds. I'm curious how big are the teeth in the upper right part of the picture. I'm really new to fossils and I'm suprised how big those teeth are.

FD

Very nice finds. I'm curious how big are the teeth in the upper right part of the picture. I'm really new to fossils and I'm suprised how big those teeth are.

FD

Here is a size comparison pic. Didn't do much today out at the creek. Found this box turtle partial carapace. Not sure if it's fossilized though! Too light in color! Found the nice tooth on the far right today! It is small ,but the cusps are perfect! oh, on a side note.......there was a DOR "dead on the road" Canebrake rattler, or Timber rattlesnake on the bridge that crosses Post Oak Creek hwy 75. I've been poking around there with reckless abandon the past couple of weeks. You know, putting my hands on the creek banks without a care in the world! But now, I will be a little more careful as I've heard that a bite from a Timber can be awefully time consuming ie: extended hospital stay! Anyways be careful all youse Tx guys around that area!

Bpost-417-1211687417_thumb.jpg

Here are a few pics to give you a little better idea of the overall size! I know that i'm going to run the post's up on this thread, but I am keyed up because I took a nap today after all the strenuous 80 degree 175% humidity that I had to deal with today out at the creek! B)

P.s could you imagine finding an intact tooth like the one that is solo on the coin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In Texas!!!!!!!! :):):) Or the small meg type teeth that almost cover half of the dollar.

Bpost-417-1211689476_thumb.jpg

They are out there ! Intact specimens! Kinda like the needle in the haystack! :)post-417-1211689761_thumb.jpg

They are out there ! Intact specimens! Kinda like the needle in the haystack! :)post-417-1211689761_thumb.jpg

Very nice, now you have made me want to hunt again. :D

FD