Starting Up Fossil Club

megalodon mitch

• New Members

im looking to start a club about fossils and shark teeth.i live in little river south carolina right beside north myrtle beach and cherry grove.would like to start a club to socialize and study fossils,aswell as go out and look for fossils.i go out pretty much everyday and would like to find some people to go with and share ideas and such.if you like this you can send me a PM. my name is mitch. im new to this site but it seems to be better than all the other fossil sites.

Edited by JohnJ
phone number removed

The dearth of active fossil clubs in areas that deserve them has been lamented here recently. I wish you good luck and success in getting one established!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

:) Hope you the best in getting one started.There are many areas needing fossil clubs that for some reason cant get one started.I would love to see more clubs out there to spread the knowledge and love of fossils. :D

Bear-dog.

Mitch,

Don't underestimate the amount of work involved in creating and managing a fossil club. I can only imagine how much time and work it would take to organize meetings (and possibly renting a building for them), organizing field trips, possibly getting insurance eventually to allow you to collect in some off limits areas, making sign up forms for new members, a personal website for your club (it really helps) with the ability to sign up online, etc, etc.

A good way to get started would be to create some sign up forms and host a fossil show. Rent a building with tables, contact people to come rent the tables from you and show their fossil collections (table rent should come close to covering cost of the building if you do it right). Advertise the show extremely well and keep a table at the front with your new club's sign up forms and next meeting/field trip times. Getting 20 or 30 people sign up and want to go on a future trip wouldn't be too hard, especially if you've gotten exclusive permission for your club to hunt at an area off limits to isolated collectors.

Any way you choose to do it, I wish you luck! Let us know how it goes.

-Cris

youtube-logo-png-46031.png