Really Big Posterior Meg Tooth

hemi

I found this tooth on ebay. The tooth measures 4 3/4 in in slant height and says it is posterior. I have two questions for those people that are good with meg tooth jaw positions. Is this really a posterior tooth and how large would this shark's anterior teeth be?

Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160516457027#ht_819wt_1112

From the length, width and shape, I'd say it's a lateral tooth that has been photographed with forced perspective. I've see plenty of teeth with those proportions. Maybe 6 3/4"?

From the length, width and shape, I'd say it's a lateral tooth that has been photographed with forced perspective. I've see plenty of teeth with those proportions. Maybe 6 3/4"?

I understand the forced 'assertion' of a fantastical association of 7" Meg teeth.

What is the seller distorting or hiding with the same angle or perspective in each photo?

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

I understand the forced 'assertion' of a fantastical association of 7" Meg teeth.

What is the seller distorting or hiding with the same angle or perspective in each photo?

I don't think I understand what you're trying to say. I meant that the tooth is slanted towards the camera to downplay the height in relation to the width.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forced_perspective

I don't think I understand what you're trying to say. I meant that the tooth is slanted towards the camera to downplay the height in relation to the width.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forced_perspective

Yeah THobern sorry, I thought you meant there was a issue with the quality of the tooth by forcing only one perspective of the tooth.

But you are saying that it's being skewed though to downplay the actual proportions right? Thanks, I'm not well versed in Meg tooth trickery. ;)

Edited by piranha

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Yeah. If there's no real background and no other photos for comparison, a tooth can be made to look stumpier. It would help if the second photo was lit from below.

post-1261-0-54950400-1292737077_thumb.jpg

post-1261-0-72026400-1292737124_thumb.jpg

Edited by THobern

Yeah. If there's no real background and no other photos for comparison, a tooth can be made to look stumpier. It would help if the second photo was lit from below.

THobern: Your two photos of the meg nicely depict your point regarding the photo angle of the tooth.

Then we have the comment "a premiere expert CONFIRMS the tooth came from a meg with primary teeth exceeding 7". What Hype!!

THobern: Your two photos of the meg nicely depict your point regarding the photo angle of the tooth.

Then we have the comment "a premiere expert CONFIRMS the tooth came from a meg with primary teeth exceeding 7". What Hype!!

Enough hype here for sure!

Still it is a very nice unrepaired, chilean tooth in my eyes and the seller lets it go for a one penny no reserve, not many auction like this anymore.

Enough hype here for sure!

Still it is a very nice unrepaired, chilean tooth in my eyes and the seller lets it go for a one penny no reserve, not many auction like this anymore.

Yeah, if you own a Chilean tooth now over 4, that's pretty good. It's illegal to export them from the site ;)

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

I agree with Mexx and THobern, a nice unrepaired Chilean meg, but it's a lateral, not a posterior tooth.

post-77-0-80534500-1292779912_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

I really like the chile's in matrix.... I'd curse everytime I lost one when Megaloteeth was loading ebay every week with Chile stuff... then one day I won one...I think the tooth is a belter, I did notice one similar as a buy it now price previously ... but I cant remember how much...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)