Pyritised Wood (Help)

Kosmoceras

How should I preserve Pyritised wood? At the moment some of it has oxidised. I have read somewhere to put it in water, so it is there at the moment. When I take it out later what would you do? Some people have said coat it in wax, others varnish it with matt varnish. What is the best way to preserve it?

water isn't a preservative for pyrite.

pyrite disease, or pyrite rot, is a major problem for many specimens.

use a search engine to look up those two terms and read as much as you can stand on the problem and then choose a strategy.

my strategy has been to not collect anything preserved in pyrite.

water isn't a preservative for pyrite.

pyrite disease, or pyrite rot, is a major problem for many specimens.

use a search engine to look up those two terms and read as much as you can stand on the problem and then choose a strategy.

my strategy has been to not collect anything preserved in pyrite.

Yes, I now know not to collect more wood. I guess it is just trial and error. :unsure:

How should I preserve Pyritised wood? At the moment some of it has oxidised. I have read somewhere to put it in water, so it is there at the moment. When I take it out later what would you do? Some people have said coat it in wax, others varnish it with matt varnish. What is the best way to preserve it?

I've collected quite a bit of charcoalized Cretaceous wood. It's always damp and some contains marcasite / pyrite. If left to dry out the wood crumbles and the pyrite turns white and powdery.

I now give the specimens several coats of Elmer's Glue All, 10 - 20% in water, and they have stayed good now for 5+ years.

Tom

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"

Hello Thomas,

Follow the Sheppey Guide it's very good, also search 'Pyrite Ammonia' for ideas. I personally coat pyrite with paraloid, it has worked so far for a few years!

Joe

Kind regards,

Joe

Depending on the size of the fossils... Ithis may or may not be practical.... but for small stuff... I keep my pyritized goniatites in mineral oil to slow down decomposition... as suggested by paleo guy JB of Leeds/Cambridge UK....

I have seen the link before, I am not confident though.

Here it is.

That looks interesting. Can you post a few closeups of the better pieces?

Here is one of mine, Cretaceous, near Dallas, Texas.

post-534-0-13593500-1293728044_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I have found some nice pieces of what I call mummified wood with partial pyrite replacement.

They are beautiful at first but will almost always dehydrate/oxidize to disintegration. The only specimens

that I have been able to preserve had minimal pyrite present and I coated them with several dips -over time-of

50/50 (Elmers glue and water). The glue -water mix allows the gasses to escape. I once coated an awesome

chunk loaded with nodules in a hard polymer. 1 month later there was an explosion that sent me diving for the floor.

:blush:

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

I have found some nice pieces of what I call mummified wood with partial pyrite replacement.

They are beautiful at first but will almost always dehydrate/oxidize to disintegration. The only specimens

that I have been able to preserve had minimal pyrite present and I coated them with several dips -over time-of

50/50 (Elmers glue and water). The glue -water mix allows the gasses to escape. I once coated an awesome

chunk loaded with nodules in a hard polymer. 1 month later there was an explosion that sent me diving for the floor.

:blush:

Well, I read not to put any PVA glue on it, as it will destroy it for some reson. But thanks anyway.