Paleontological Christmas Gifts

TOM BUCKLEY

My son gave me a copy of Devonic Fishes of New York Formations by Charles Eastman, 1907. The best thing is that it was H.W. Shimer's copy and is signed by him! smile.gif

Tom

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"

Tom,...

Great gift! Obviously knows what his dad likes!

I received an envelope of 14 tiny ammonites from Madagascar, from my son. :):wub:

And,. .. my wife gave me a 10 gallon air compressor, to start off my air abrasive setup. :D

It's starting to come together, ... slow but sure!

Thanks for starting this thread.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I'm glad everyone is having fun with this topic.smile.gif Well done Nando. That's a great book and I know you will enjoy it.thumbsu.gif

Tom

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"

• 2 weeks later...

My sister-in-law made this for me (finishing it right in front of me while we were at their folks' place for X-mas time ....I kinda had my suspicions when I saw something that looked like a crinoid, but figured 'what would she be stiching crinoids for?')...

She looked up crinoids on the internet, took some line drawings (I need to find out what species they are so I can make that note on back), and created it with something like crochet. It's kinda blurry in the photo, but you get the idea.

crinoidstiches.jpg

Definitely a candidate for the best X-mas gift I've ever received.....best paleo-related one anyway :-)

scale in avatar is millimeters

Come visit Sandi, the 'Fossil Journey Cruiser'

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce

That's great! :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I actually did this thread back on Xmas, so it's cool to see more. Again, here is what I was gifted with;

post-1313-0-45347000-1294751340_thumb.jpg

Hyaenodon cruentus --White River SD.

And I gave my wife,

post-1313-0-10766900-1294751372_thumb.jpg

Lion & Jaguar.

Be true to the reality you create.

It wasn't really a gift but I found a copy of Moore's Invertebrate Fossils at Half Price Books for $5. It was kind of a gift to myself, especially after I looked it up on the internet. It's in great shape too.