Doing Memorial Day The Fossiling Way

Guest bmorefossil

Guest bmorefossil

For some reason when ever i find a cow shark and a hemi to begin a trip i never find a meg. Well this happened again but we still did ok. Once again we had the beach to ourselves and were only finding smaller stuff and then the wind kicked in from the north. When this happens in the Bay the waves really pick up and it gets rough out on the water. As the wind grew so did the waves, soon the waves began to white-cap and i was thinking to myself that we need to leave before the weather gets any worse. Well a few minutes later the wind stops and the waves died off to nothing. The tide began to drop off and soon the water was 50 ft.+ off the beach. Nothing was really going on we were finding some ok stuff untill i looked down and found a pathologic mako tooth that just got uncovered. I found a few more good teeth and went back to my father who shows me this HUGE hemi that measures almost 1 3/4 in. long. As we went down the beach togeather i spotted the 1.5in. in a block, followed by a vert. and 2 ribs ( associated). I did also find a huge bird bone in great condition, you dont find them all the time so it was a nice find. Nothing else seemed to be going on so we left. The pictures are temporary untill i can take some with our good camera

post-17-1211768046_thumb.jpg

post-17-1211768121_thumb.jpg

post-17-1211768171_thumb.jpg

post-17-1211768278_thumb.jpg

post-17-1211768309_thumb.jpg

RE: Bird bone; proximal 2/3rds of an ulna? Any quill knobs? Get the good camera fired up! :^)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest bmorefossil

Yea i looked at the bird bone and i can see the quill knobs thats cool i tried to get a picture of them its easier to see them once you know where they are lol.

Here is the bird bone, hemi. and the pathologic mako.

post-17-1211814576_thumb.jpg

post-17-1211814598_thumb.jpg

post-17-1211814618_thumb.jpg

Yea i looked at the bird bone and i can see the quill knobs thats cool i tried to get a picture of them its easier to see them once you know where they are lol.

Can you bring it with you to the hunt in July? Maybe we can ID it, at least as to family. Was it in matrix, or is it at least the same color as other bone from that matrix? I'd like to be comfortable with the age.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest bmorefossil
Can you bring it with you to the hunt in July? Maybe we can ID it, at least as to family. Was it in matrix, or is it at least the same color as other bone from that matrix? I'd like to be comfortable with the age.

Yea sure ill bring it to the hunt just remind me, It was not in the matrix and i do have some bones but none directly out of the matrix