White Stuff On Tooth

crf250rsx3

Is there a way to get this white stuff off of this tooth I found? Is this a mako tooth?

Thanks

post-323-1211852097_thumb.jpg

definetely, you can`t.It`s a trace fossil made by a sponge (I can`t remember the name of it,perhaps someone on the forum can say you :P ).Remember that this teeth have been millions of years under sea! Aswell,mineralization has harm it.

Suggestiions:

Pics with less resolution

Any information relating to age/formation/location of the specimen

The white coloration appears to be the result of weathering. Such weathering will damage/pit the crown enamel and is generally not something that can be removed. Sometimes the white coloration can be "buffed" to remove some of the white color but this then imparts a polished unnatural look to the tooth.

I've heard such damage might be the result of nitrogen burn from plant roots as well.

I don't think its fixable unless you literally grind it smooth, spackle and paint it.

Personally I would have left it for someone else (fossil Karma).

This tooth is damaged about 1cm. through.I can guarantee there is no way its coming out. Might as well enjoy it for what its worth jordan.

If you leave fossils behind you gain karma points and you will find more in the future if you take all and leave none you will find less. Its just the way things work according to karma. :P

Karma is tricky. If you find that huge tooth, it might be because of accrued good karma. Taking a fossil you don't really want or need is greed, which is a karmic no-no. Leave it for someone else who will be excited about it (and not condemn it to a forgotten box).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

This tooth is damaged about 1cm. through.I can gaurntee there is no way its coming out. Might as well enjoy it for what its worth jordan.

This was my first tooth when I was twelve now im 15. I was pretty pumped

There's that Karma thing! Take what you really want, and leave what would otherwise just be taking up your storage space so that maybe a nice 12 year old will get pumped!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Ok, well since it's your first it's a great tooth then. I looked again and it's bigger than I thought at first so it's a keeper.

This was my first tooth when I was twelve now im 15. I was pretty pumped

I agree with the Karma. I was out at my favorite spot a few days ago. I found a small Ptychodus tooth and I look up to notice some other hunters. THey had never found a tooth before. I let them have that ptychodus tooth plus a few other teeth I had found there that I had plenty of. The next day I return to the same spot that they had hunted to find a perfect 1.25inch tooth. (thats big for me) Even if you see a broken tooth, I use to pick them all up. But for some people that would get them excited and at least they found something. Greed is bad.

I remember the day you showed me that tooth, Thats not one you would leave behind, but I wish you would have!

Guest N.AL.hunter

If anyone going on the Calvert Cliffs trip in July reads this post about Karma, remember this... if you are in front of me and see a really nice Meg tooth, or any really nice fossil, just leave it alone for me to find!! You will earn many Karma points and you will make me happy :D

If anyone going on the Calvert Cliffs trip in July reads this post about Karma, remember this... if you are in front of me and see a really nice Meg tooth, or any really nice fossil, just leave it alone for me to find!! You will earn many Karma points and you will make me happy :D

Sure, I got your Karma right here. :P

(Actually, I hope you get a perfect 6"er).