January 2011 Finds Of The Month

JohnJ

Discovered Jan 20, 2011.

Middle Devonian Era

Arkona / Hungry Hollow ON

Hamilton Group

Ultrasonic treated Ostracod and resulting fracture / cleavage to reveal a rare glimpse of preserved internals micro-organs?

It has been graceously pointed out to me that the internal organs could be just debris caught in the carapace.....

Size approx 2mm

post-2446-0-47485200-1295571539_thumb.jpg

Edited by pleecan

Discovered Jan 20, 2011.

Middle Devonian Era

Arkona / Hungry Hollow ON

Hamilton Group

Ultrasonic treated Ostracod and resulting fracture / cleavage to reveal a rare glimpse of preserved internals micro-organs

Size approx 2mm

post-2446-0-47485200-1295571539_thumb.jpg

Neat find Peter! Do you have a photo of the other side of that carapace?

Neat find Peter! Do you have a photo of the other side of that carapace?

Hi Dan: Thanks Dan.... Just one halve so far ... there are hundreds/ thousands of tiny bits to scan through... odds of finding the other half is kind of slim.... more like a random walk

... all my micro fossils are the waste products of silt collected at the bottom of an ultrasonic cleaner that would have been thrown out but now I save and analyse the contents under magnification.

Peter

Hi Dan: Thanks Dan.... Just one halve so far ... there are hundreds/ thousands of tiny bits to scan through... odds of finding the other half is kind of slim.... more like a random walk

... all my micro fossils are the waste products of silt collected at the bottom of an ultrasonic cleaner that would have been thrown out but now I save and analyse the contents under magnification.

Peter

Oh,

sorry Peter, I guess I wasn't very clear! Do you have a photo of the other side (external surface) of the specimen? Did you flip it over and photograph the outside?

Oh,

sorry Peter, I guess I wasn't very clear! Do you have a photo of the other side (external surface) of the specimen? Did you flip it over and photograph the outside?

Hi Dan:

Not yet ... I did not think of flipping it over.... I will scan the sample again and it I find it ... I will flip it over an photograph it...

PL

Okay Dan: I found the Ostracod and retook shoots front and back and using a much sharper optic configuration ...

Imaged using a point and shoot Nikon 995 with a 4x plan microscope objective... photographed at 3 megapixel then cropped.....

There is an increase in DOF by switching to lower powered objectives.... from 21X to 4x

Devonian, Hamilton Formation

Hungry Hollow ON. Canada

Poderodictya punctulifera

post-2446-0-95950700-1295578895_thumb.jpg

post-2446-0-97139600-1295578897_thumb.jpg

post-2446-0-00062100-1295578900_thumb.jpg

post-2446-0-36044100-1295578902_thumb.jpg

post-2446-0-53110800-1295578904_thumb.jpg

post-2446-0-29400600-1295578906_thumb.jpg

post-2446-0-56906100-1295578908_thumb.jpg

post-2446-0-70485800-1295578910_thumb.jpg

post-2446-0-14753400-1295578913_thumb.jpg

post-2446-0-97987900-1295578914_thumb.jpg

Edited by pleecan

Okay Dan: I found the Ostracod and retook shoots front and back and using a much sharper optic configuration ...

Imaged using a point and shoot Nikon 995 with a 4x plan microscope objective... photographed at 3 megapixel then cropped.....

There is an increase in DOF by switching to lower powered objectives.... from 21X to 4x

Holy cow Peter those are great photos!

Good job!

Edited by palaeopix

Holy cow Peter those are great photos!

Good job!

That's exactly what I was going to say! Awesome!

Very nice images, Peter.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Thanks Mike and John. I find direct coupling a 4x flat field plan microscope objective matches perfectly to the Nikon , Nikkor lens with very sharp resolution... and excellent depth of field.

PL

Peter,

Nice photos. Ostracods look different in water than when photographing them dry. If you are entering it in IPFOTM, you may need a name. I think it is a Poderodictya punctulifera. Good luck!

Acryzona

Collecting Microfossils - a hobby concerning much about many of the little

paraphrased from Dr. Robert Kesling's book

Peter,

Nice photos. Ostracods look different in water than when photographing them dry. If you are entering it in IPFOTM, you may need a name. I think it is a Poderodictya punctulifera. Good luck!

Acryzona

Thanks Matthew and thanks very much for the id. You also have a super entry with the micro jaw... what a great find! Looks like the microfossil entries are making a strong prescence.

Peter

Hi !

Nice photos and fossils in this post !

Here's an Archaeolamna kopingensis from the late Cretaceous of Belgium,

found on saturday January 15th.

Archaeolamna kopingenis

late Maastrichtian

Eben-Emael

Belgium

Philippe

Edited by JohnJ
removed broken photo links

Devonian, Hamilton Formation

Hungry Hollow ON. Canada

Poderodictya punctulifera

I am not even kidding I found 2 of those before! I was looking for some microfossils and thought it was just a mineral... I have to find more now!!! Time to go back into work and hunt for more microfossils!!! The microscope I use cant take pictures though... :(

Seeing as it was sunny and about 30 degrees on January 11, 2011 and as we were expecting 2 feet of snow the next day, I decided to get myself out to the Mt. Tom site and try to dig another dino track out, last chance for the year type of thing, well after three hours of chipping away, I did get one out to add to the shelf. The rest, will have to wait till the spring thaw. So since the chances of me finding anything to enter in the FOTM in January in New England are slim to none, I just had to enter this dino track.

Dinosaur footprint fossil-Grallator ( "stilt walker")(210 myo)

Made by a dinosaur very much like a Coelophysis, this track was made by a small to medium- sized bipedal carnivorous theropod dinosaur. The stride of their walkways show that they were probably the fastest dinosaurs in the Connecticut River Valley of Massachusetts. They may have attained speeds of up to 20 miles per hour. The dinosaur that left this track probably reached a length of 3-7 feet.

The track is almost 7 inches from middle toe claw to heal. The grid in 1/2 inch. So this is my second FOTM entry, a rear winter find from Massachusetts.

post-3786-0-71404800-1295734781_thumb.jpg

post-3786-0-20815300-1295734799_thumb.jpg

post-3786-0-79969300-1295734823_thumb.jpg

Edited by dhk

On 1/22/2011 at 8:12 AM, Grandblanc said:

Hi !

Nice photos and fossils in this post !

Here's an Archaeolamna kopingensis from the late Cretaceous of Belgium,

found on saturday January 15th.

Archaeolamna kopingenis

late Maastrichtian

Eben-Emael

Belgium

Philippe

Speaking of nice photos!!

Great photos of a great tooth!!!

OK, I meant to say, those photos are awesome!!!!

Nice job Philippe!!!!!

The calibre of entries just Excellent... will be a difficult month to choose... great way to start the New Year!

Hi Larsa,

If you have a camera with threads on the end of the lens, then you can purchase a microscope eyepiece that can be screwed directly onto the camera. It's a lot cheaper than buying a microscope with a phototube. I have a Nikon 4500 with a threaded eyepiece. I don't remember where I purchased the eyepiece but if you are interested, send me a PM and I'll dig through my notes.

Acryzona

Collecting Microfossils - a hobby concerning much about many of the little

paraphrased from Dr. Robert Kesling's book

Larsa:

Acryzona is right... I also have the Nikon 4500, 995, 990 all have the adapter that can be found on ebay and works great... and plugs directly into the microscope oculars...

Perhaps a more cost effective solution is...

You can also buy a USB eyepiece and take pictures directly through the ocular of your microscope.... that way you don't have to buy the camera....

http://shop.ebay.ca/i.html?_nkw=usb+microscope+eyepiece&_sacat=0&_odkw=nikon+995+adapter&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

PL

My IPFOTM entry is a Middle Devonian scolecodont (annelid worm jaw) from the Silica Formation at Fossil Park in Sylvania OH. I found it this morning (15 Jan) and identified it as Leodicites sp. The total length of the jaw is 0.5mm (~0.02").

I love weird stuff always gets my vote :D

Here is a find from 1/30/09 C.Megalodon, Hawthorne formation 3 " meg.... A "screamer", ! Early to mid miocene, Gainesville

post-3030-0-02471900-1296424794_thumb.jpg