Ontario Ordovician Heterocrinitids

Trilobitologist

Attached are photos of Isotomocrinus tenuis (Billings) from the Bobcaygeon Formation. I was calling these Isotomocrinus typus Ulrich. Isotomocrinus typus is not reported in Bill's book and I was wondering if anybody knows what happened with this species. Bill reports 2 species of heterocrinitids from the Ontario Ord.: I tenuis and Cincinnaticrinus variabrachialis.

I was wondering if anybody knows the status of I. typus - was it synonomized or changed genus? Also - does anybody know of other genera/species of heterocrinitids from Ontario? I have seen reference to Ohiocrinus bellevillensis (SPRINGER, 1911), but have no information on this. I know most of the species previously assigned to Heterocrinus have changed genus. Are there still any valid species of Heterocrinus from the Ontario Ordovician?

post-4777-0-61774000-1294494276_thumb.jpg

post-4777-0-11188600-1294494284_thumb.jpg

post-4777-0-74785900-1294494292_thumb.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

By billings, do you meen the formation?

as for your little problem, i beleive you have the right name... it may have been updated though...

Edited by trilobite guy

-Shamus

The Ordovician enthusiast.

No it does not refer to the formation. The name after the species name (as in Isotomocrinus tenuis (Billings)) is the name of the author who first described the species.

All organisms have 2 names: A genus (as in Isotomocrinus) and a species (as in tenuis). Following the species name is the author (who first decribed the species) and the year of that publication (1857)

So - in order to correctly write the full name of a species, you would write: Isotomocrinus tenuis (Billings, 1857)

If the author's name is in brackets, it means the species has changed genus name from the original publication. The original name of I. tenuis is: Heterocrinus tenuis Billings, 1857.

So you can write:

Triarthrus rougensis

or

Triarthrus rougensis Parks

or Triathrus rougensis Parks, 1928

This means that William Parks originally described a species called "rougensis" in 1928 and he assigned this species to the genus Triarthrus. The genus name is still Triarthrus, as his name is not it brackets.

Hope this helps.

Attached are photos of Isotomocrinus tenuis (Billings) from the Bobcaygeon Formation. I was calling these Isotomocrinus typus Ulrich. Isotomocrinus typus is not reported in Bill's book and I was wondering if anybody knows what happened with this species. Bill reports 2 species of heterocrinitids from the Ontario Ord.: I tenuis and Cincinnaticrinus variabrachialis.

I was wondering if anybody knows the status of I. typus - was it synonomized or changed genus? Also - does anybody know of other genera/species of heterocrinitids from Ontario? I have seen reference to Ohiocrinus bellevillensis (SPRINGER, 1911), but have no information on this. I know most of the species previously assigned to Heterocrinus have changed genus. Are there still any valid species of Heterocrinus from the Ontario Ordovician?

Hi Kevin,

Here is an excerpt from the article: Whiterockian (Ordovician) crinoid fauna from

the Table Head Group, western Newfoundland,

Canada by Ausich et. al, 1998. Hope that helps answer your question. Cheers, Bill

"Discussion

Warn and Strimple (1977) placed the type species of Isotomocrinus,

I. typus, in synonymy with I. tenuis, so three species

are now recognized, I. tenuis (Billings), Isotomocrinus minutus

Kolata, and I. apheles n.sp. Brower and Veinus (1974) recognized

another different Isotomocrinus but left it in open nomenclature. Isotomocrinus apheles n.sp. differs from other

named species in that it has a very steep sided aboral cup, anal

X higher than wide, 5 primibrachials, 611 secundibrachials,

and an arm branching above the primibrachitaxis with equal

divisions (isotomy) that alternate as exotomous and endotomous.

In contrast, I. tenuis has a steep to very steep sided aboral

cup, anal X higher than wide, 45 primibrachials, 47

secundibrachials, and arm branching that approaches ideal isotomous

branching; and I. minutus has a steep-sided aboral cup,

anal X wider than high, 56 primibrachials, 911 secundibrachials,

and isotomous arm branching. Isotomocrinus tenuis

is reported from numerous Caradoc localities, including the

Hull Limestone in Ontario, Decorah Shale and Platteville Formation

in Illinois, and the Dunleith Formation in Minnesota.

Isotomocrinus minutus is known from the Decorah Shale and

Grand Detour Formation in Illinois and Minnesota."

Thanks Bill - So I typus is a junior syn. of I tenuis. Good to know. Guess I'll call all Isotomos I. tenuis from now on.....

Have you heard of Ohiocrinus bellevillensis (SPRINGER, 1911?

Also have you seen any Eustenocrinus from Ontario?

K

The Warn and Strimple paper also stated that the original Springer Ohiocrinus specimens could not be found for verification and they placed the specimens in Daedalocrinus. Thus Daedaleocrinus bellevillensis.

I have a Eustenocrinus from Carden on my web page. My link

The Warn and Strimple paper also stated that the original Springer Ohiocrinus specimens could not be found for verification and they placed the specimens in Daedalocrinus. Thus Daedaleocrinus bellevillensis.

I have a Eustenocrinus from Carden on my web page. My link

I haven't seen the Warn and Strimple paper. Have you a pdf of this paper or the complete reference citation? Bill - you got this paper? So Ohiocrinus bellevillensis was first described by Springer, then the specimens were lost, then Warn and Strimple placed it as Daedalocrinus bellevillensis based on Springers photos I assume? Got it right? And I'm assuming it's from the Belleville area? Did they also distinguish between Daedalo kirki and bellevillensis?

Yes I have seen Eustenocrinus before from Carden, thanks for the photo, Great find! Is E. springeri reported from Ontario? Where was it originally described from?

Here are some photos of a specimen from Carden I'm not sure of. I think it is either a slightly distorted Praecupulocrinus or a Glaucocrinus. Bill thinks maybe Glaucocrinus as well. Opinions?? Unfortunately it is not the best preserved. What you see is what you get - no more prep can be done on it.

post-4777-0-21608200-1294534109_thumb.jpg

post-4777-0-57483800-1294534117_thumb.jpg

post-4777-0-53722500-1294534126_thumb.jpg

Here are some photos of a specimen from Carden I'm not sure of. I think it is either a slightly distorted Praecupulocrinus or a Glaucocrinus. Bill thinks maybe Glaucocrinus as well. Opinions?? Unfortunately it is not the best preserved. What you see is what you get - no more prep can be done on it.

Glaucocrinus yes and no. I believe that it is now Anomalocrinus. There is a paleontologist in Georgia that is working on it. A few months back he asked for pic of every specimen I had. Hopefully something comes of that.

The same paper (WARN AND sTRIMPLE) synonomized kirki and bellevillensis. bellevillensis wins because it came first. I only have a hard copy of the paper.

crinus

I haven't seen the Warn and Strimple paper. Have you a pdf of this paper or the complete reference citation? Bill - you got this paper? So Ohiocrinus bellevillensis was first described by Springer, then the specimens were lost, then Warn and Strimple placed it as Daedalocrinus bellevillensis based on Springers photos I assume? Got it right? And I'm assuming it's from the Belleville area? Did they also distinguish between Daedalo kirki and bellevillensis?

Yes I have seen Eustenocrinus before from Carden, thanks for the photo, Great find! Is E. springeri reported from Ontario? Where was it originally described from?

Hi Kevin,

I have the Warn and Strimple paper but it is too large in file size to email. Below are some snipplets from that paper. Cheers, Bill

"Type species. — Daedalocrinus kirki Ulrich, 1925 by original

designation (p. 97); this species is considered a junior subjective

synonym of Heterocrinus bellevillensis Billings, 1883 herein."

"Occurrence. — Kirkfieldian. Daedalocrinus is known from the

Hull crinoid beds of Belleville and Kirkfield, Ontario. Billings (1883,

p. 50) described Heterocrinus bellevillensis from the "Trenton limestone"

at Belleville, Ontario, {= Hull beds); Ulrich (1925, p. 97)

reported its, and another species' {D. kirki, considered a junior

synonym of D. bellevillensis), occurrence in the "Lower Trenton

crinoid beds," Kirkfield, Ontario (= Hull crinoid beds at Kirkfield,

Ontario, where it is evidently fairly common)."

"Springer (1911, p. 27) reported that Kirkfield material in the

United States National Museum collection makes it evident that

Heterocrinus bellevillensis has a convoluted anal sac, which would

confirm its referral (by Springer) to Ohiocrin/us. Ulrich (1925, pp.

97-98), using the same material as Springer had, described the anal

sac as large and balloon-shaped. The authors have examined a number

of well-preserved specimens in the Kopf collection (at the University

of Cincinnati) and have perused the USNM cincinnaticrinids

and homocrinids but have not found evidence to corroborate

Springer's or Ulrich's observations."

Which paleontologist from Georgia is working on Anomalocrinus? Just wondering..... I think there may be Anomalocrinus and Glaucocrinus falconeri, but I guess if they are synonomyzed, then there could be 2 species from Ontario.

And Bill - you're such a geek. Thanks for the info! I'll have to get that paper from you next time we meet! Cheers!

Which paleontologist from Georgia is working on Anomalocrinus? Just wondering..... I think there may be Anomalocrinus and Glaucocrinus falconeri, but I guess if they are synonomyzed, then there could be 2 species from Ontario.

And Bill - you're such a geek. Thanks for the info! I'll have to get that paper from you next time we meet! Cheers!

Brad Deline