Fossil Sites

fossilman7

hey guys, i live in stamford, connecticut. my dad and i make yearly father son summer trips. i need a place that is before ohio, not out of the country, and has other things to do like football stadiums or basball games. what places are there. thanks!

P.S. i have been to big brook, fly creek, and green mill run, so somewhere other than that. also my dad likes shale fossils

My link

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I know the name of a website which has names, and routes to sites around the states

here is the name

www.fossilsites.com

enjoy :D

I know the name of a website which has names, and routes to sites around the states

here is the name

www.fossilsites.com

enjoy :D

Be advised that some of the references on this site are out of date; double check before making any plans!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

hey guys, i live in stamford, connecticut. my dad and i make yearly father son summer trips. i need a place that is before ohio, not out of the country, and has other things to do like football stadiums or basball games. what places are there. thanks!

P.S. i have been to big brook, fly creek, and green mill run, so somewhere other than that. also my dad likes shale fossils

Yes, Best bet for you is to go to NY. 18 mile creek as was suggeested here would be on the other end of NY - may turn out to be too far for you. I would go to some herkimer cty sites if i were you. As far as CT goes, finding stuff is not easy there

Two ideas:

Central New York State. Finger Lakes area is pretty darn scenic. You could hit Cooperstown and visit the Baseball museum. Probably some decent minor league teams to see as well. In Ithaca you can visit the Paleontological Research Institution and their Museum of the Earth. There is great collecting in the Lower and Middle Devonian of that whole area. In fact PRI runs organized field trips which get you into some quarries you otherwise would not have access to.

Cincinnati, Ohio. Some of the very best fossil collecting in the country. Cincinnati has great museums, good food and is a pretty nice place. If you like aviation go up the road to Dayton and see the US Air Force Museum and the other historical sites for Orville and Wilbur. There is even a good place to collect called Wright Hill. Of course I am biased (a buckeye) and grew up with the Big Red Machine, but that team is just ancient history now. Anyone else ever see Johnny Bench throw someone out at second without even getting up from his catcher's crouch? I saw it many times.