I Need Some Help With This One?

RJB

Hey folks. Late last summer when me and the kids went to South Dakota, we went to this one spot that was even brand new to my buddy who invited us on this trip. My buddy went on a very long hike and we didnt see him for about 3 hours, but my kids and I did find some fossil stuff. We found this one little valley and started finding some ammonites. Being that my ammonite buddy is gone for the summer digging up some dinosaur, I cant ask him what these ammos are?!! Im hoping Dan or some other super smart ammo dude can help me out on these things? These ammos are from the Pool Creek member of the Pierre shale, I think? Just not sure anymore. We hit many sites on that trip and I cant remember everything. The biggest of these is about 2 inches across. I hope the pictures can help determine the Genus and hopefuly the species? Thanks guys

Ron

Oh, these dam things were some of the damdest hardest things I have ever prepped when it comes to ammos!!! Just about as fragile as you can possibly imagine!!! Just more heart attacks for me!!!

post-171-1212018131_thumb.jpg

post-171-1212018177_thumb.jpg

They might be scaphites (spelling?)

Hey N.AL.Hunter... Im still a bit perturbed with you, but I'll get over it, but no, these are not Scaphites. You did have the spelling right which is usually better than I. I never did too well with spelling even in highschool. But thanks for trying. No hard feelings here.

RB

Hard matrix + fragile ammo = coronary.

Ever prep anything from the Fox Hills Fm. (SD)? Deadly.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'm not sure RB! Maybe if you ship them up to me I would be able to identify them :D I will even pay for the postage if you want! Did you do any dino hunting when you were in SD?

I'm not sure on most of these critters as most aren't encountered often in TX. The heteromorph could be some form of Scaphites/Jeletzkytes but again I'm not really sure. Great concretion though! Try Ammonites and Other Cephalopods of hte Pierre Seaway by Larson (1997).

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Well poop,,, I thought for sure someone who know what the heck I got here. I forgot about the little heteromorph on top. Its not a jeletskytes though. Thats one of the few that I know. And I do have that book, but its packed away in some box somewhere. Oh well, I will get it figured out eventually.

RB

Well poop,,, I thought for sure someone who know what the heck I got here. I forgot about the little heteromorph on top. Its not a jeletskytes though. Thats one of the few that I know. And I do have that book, but its packed away in some box somewhere. Oh well, I will get it figured out eventually.

RB

RB, those ones are wonderful, I love them, take care with them, as you know... first the fossil... second the heart

:P

RB, those ones are wonderful, I love them, take care with them, as you know... first the fossil... second the heart

:P

Hey Ron

http://www.ammonoid.com/index.htm

They may be Prionocyclus and Scaphites try this website

fossisle

Cephalopods rule!!

RB

Maybe drop Neal Larson at the Black Hills Institute in Hill City, SD a line. He's been collecting and studying ammonites (along with dinos) all his life. He even has a couple books and papers to his credit on the subject.

Wm.T.