Selling Questions

fossiljunkie

hey everyone,

i had a few questions that i can use some help with. for you guys and girls that sell occasionally i can use a few thoughts. i guess this is directed more toward members that don't have their own websites.i have been tossing up the idea to sell a few fossils in my collection. haven't decided for sure but might sell a few of the many. so first off i was thinking that i'd rather offer them through the forum first if i do decide to sell. but if there wasn't interest in a particular fossil i would possibly list on ebay as a secondary choice.

my concern is although i have an ebay account as well as a paypal account all my sales under my user account although positive does not include sales of fossils. so all the feedback will be for an assortment of miscellaneous items that are not fossil related to help anyone feel safe buying a fossil.

secondly, i don't believe you can have more than one ebay account to solve that problem and even if you can open a separate account a buyer would see zero-very low feedback numbers for quite some time making them a little wary of buying fossils without a decent amount of sales or feedback. so am i the only one who has thought about ebay but can;t figure out the right way to go about it, or would you guys and girls stick to just offering them on the forum. i can get a site designed easily enough, my sister is a web designer, but i don't think i would be putting enough items up for sale to make that a worthwhile venture. any thoughts anyone, that i might not have thought about? would like to hear any opinions.

Today's the day!

Mel Fisher

You can build a good Ebay seller reputation by starting with low-cost fossils and excellent service. More sophisticated, higher cost items are much more sensitive to seller ratings.

Try the good stuff out here first! :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

thanks auspex,

like i said i don't know how many or how often mainly because i hunt for the love of hunting before any monetary reason, but my first thought is definitely to offer the forum members a chance first.

Today's the day!

Mel Fisher

I'm sure the members here would like first dibs on anything you're planning to sell, plus it doesn't cost anything to try here. Your ebay feedback, even if not fossil related, is still a good representation of you as a seller/buyer. If you have a high feedback rating, I think you can be trusted, whatever you sell. Auspex is probably right though, start small on ebay and work your way up.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

I'm sure the members here would like first dibs on anything you're planning to sell, plus it doesn't cost anything to try here. Your ebay feedback, even if not fossil related, is still a good representation of you as a seller/buyer. If you have a high feedback rating, I think you can be trusted, whatever you sell. Auspex is probably right though, start small on ebay and work your way up.

thanks northern,

i would want the members on this site to have those first dibs also. plus ebay can definitely test your nerves at times. the only reason i even considered the ebay route is if i list something the members aren't interested in i would probably list on ebay. but just to be clear it will be offered here first. and as mentioned i have the paypal account to make certain everyone is comfortable with payment. and as i said it is uncertain at this point which or how many. i'm not in any financial situation so i'm not doing it because i have to. just thinking about buying a boat soon and selling a few fossils would offset that cost a little. most of the sales would be shark teeth from the summerville south carolina area. don't find too many other fossils that often. i'm sure you know a little about the summerville area.the shark teeth from this area could sometimes be in pristine condition as well as some beautiful coloration. those are the items that i may "test the waters" with.thanks again

Today's the day!

Mel Fisher

thanks northern,

i would want the members on this site to have those first dibs also. plus ebay can definitely test your nerves at times. the only reason i even considered the ebay route is if i list something the members aren't interested in i would probably list on ebay. but just to be clear it will be offered here first. and as mentioned i have the paypal account to make certain everyone is comfortable with payment. and as i said it is uncertain at this point which or how many. i'm not in any financial situation so i'm not doing it because i have to. just thinking about buying a boat soon and selling a few fossils would offset that cost a little. most of the sales would be shark teeth from the summerville south carolina area. don't find too many other fossils that often. i'm sure you know a little about the summerville area.the shark teeth from this area could sometimes be in pristine condition as well as some beautiful coloration. those are the items that i may "test the waters" with.thanks again

Just a suggestion to you, and any other Americans selling on ebay, when you list an item and you get to the shipping info, PLEASE make sure you specify that you will ship to countries other than the US. I've given up asking if sellers would ship to Canada, unless I really REALLY want the piece. I've never come across a European seller that only ships to Europe, or a Canadian only shipping to Canada (although shipping within Canada is more than shipping from Canada to the States, but that's another rant), this only happens with American sellers.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

I think that a lot of people probably won't delve into your feedback in detail unless you've got negative comments. I know I don't. If someone has 100%, perfect. If they don't, then I will look and see the reason for the negative feedback.

As far as shipping FROM the States. It's expensive. I don't know how anyone else does it, but I was looking into shipping some pieces (just trilo scraps), and some places wanted over $100. Well over $100. The cheapest was a flat rate box for just under $50. Might be one of the things holding some of the other US sellers back.

um, i tink sharks were peeple to and you shud take dem things you gots and gently put dem back in teh water where you foun dem...

and i'm gon stay out teh politics over wher people ship stuf and dont but i will state i tink dat most of teh stuf dont go by ship no more anway so it ought to be called "plane" or "truck" instead of ship. so from now on i just made a "tracer rule" that everbrody has to use teh noun for teh real way it's goin. but my cat just sed nobody has to plane nothing to canada. i smacked him for you so don't worry about dat.

um, i tink sharks were peeple to and you shud take dem things you gots and gently put dem back in teh water where you foun dem...

and i'm gon stay out teh politics over wher people ship stuf and dont but i will state i tink dat most of teh stuf dont go by ship no more anway so it ought to be called "plane" or "truck" instead of ship. so from now on i just made a "tracer rule" that everbrody has to use teh noun for teh real way it's goin. but my cat just sed nobody has to plane nothing to canada. i smacked him for you so don't worry about dat.

tracer,

that was hysterical but how about the english equivalent. you are extremely funny at times but didn't quite decipher it that time.LOL

Today's the day!

Mel Fisher

To quote Benny Hill, "why do shipments go by car, and cargo goes by ship"

This guy Tracer has me bustin my gut!

спасибо Tracer!

I was wondering similarly..... I just finished prepping a bunch of echinoderms. Can I offer them here on the Forum first? In this thread? .... Kevin - suggestions?

Cheers,

Kevin

This guy Tracer has me bustin my gut!

спасибо Tracer!

I was wondering similarly..... I just finished prepping a bunch of echinoderms. Can I offer them here on the Forum first? In this thread? .... Kevin - suggestions?

Cheers,

Kevin

Sales and Trades topics are restricted to the Member Sales & Trades forum, which has a shortlist of rules; the first being that a member must be well established (a preset number of posts of substance) before he has access to post there.

This policy was implemented because we were overrun by dealer "members" whose only "contributions" were spamming us to death. This also gives everybody a chance to get to know one another a little first. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!