Fossil Legalities.

bear-dog

:) Can anyone tell me if it is legal to own and collect Bald Eagle fossils?I know the law for recent parts[remains]. :D

Bear-dog.

Hi Bear-Dog, interesting topic. There are La Brea eagle fossils I found for sale online. Other than that there are references to Eocene-Oligocene fossils in North America but I can't ever recall ever seeing one. It would be helpful to know the cladistics of the lineage here. That's well beyond my pay grade.

Hopefully Auspex or one of our other birders here at TFF will have the answers.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

The law pertains to recent birds (and their parts). Note that it is illegal to possess (without a permit) even a feather from any native N. Am. bird. This is an international treaty between the US, Canada, and Mexico.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

:) Thanks,I understood that.But does it pertain to their fossils? I posed the question today to my fwc.com today to get the official scoop on this,will share the answer on it. :D Edited by bear-dog

Bear-dog.

:) Thanks,I understood that.But does it pertain to their fossils? :D

No; recent only, prehistoric material is exempt.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

No; recent only, prehistoric material is exempt.

How about a bone (particularly the skull) that was collected off of a bald egale that died naturaly. Is that legal?

How about a bone (particularly the skull) that was collected off of a bald egale that died naturaly. Is that legal?

If you don't have a salvage permit, it's a Federal offense to possess it.

The law pertains to recent birds (and their parts). Note that it is illegal to possess (without a permit) even a feather from any native N. Am. bird. This is an international treaty between the US, Canada, and Mexico.

Any bird? So, assuming these are native, if I find a nice pink Roseate Spoobill feather or a footlong Great Blue Heron feather on the ground, I cannot collect it without a permit?

Correct. Twice I have come across eagle feathers. Once in Colorado, a Golden Eagle was perched on a stump. He saw me and took off leaving a large Wing feather behind. I also came across a Bald Eagle feather on the shore of the Potomac river. In both cases, I picked up the feather, looked at it and then put it right back where I found it.

Edited by Paleoc

Any bird? So, assuming these are native, if I find a nice pink Roseate Spoobill feather or a footlong Great Blue Heron feather on the ground, I cannot collect it without a permit?

Technically, you would be in violation. Stuff like that is never enforced, though; they use it to go after poachers and big-time commercial plume and egg collectors. Raptor material gets closer scrutiny, because misinformed people still kill them, as do some "sportsmen"; all the gvt. has to prove to prosecute these folks is that that are in possession of a feather; they don't have to prove that the suspect killed it.

I collected a dead golden eagle once many years ago. It was rather sad, because it was one that I had driven by many times, so I felt I knew him/her. There was a pair living near the Como Bluff, of Morrison dinosaur fame, and I drove by and one of them was dead below the phone poles. Likely electrocuted. I knew it was illegal, but I picked it up... wow... what a bird! This is way before cell phones, (and there's still no cell phone coverage there), but I called the G&F from the next available pay phone and asked what I could do with a dead eagle. Of course they told me what I shouldn't do, but eventually I donated to them, and they in turn would donate it to the local Indian tribe who would use its feathers ceremonially. I felt better.

Meanwhile, I think, auspex, that it is legal to keep game bird parts without a permit, or does the hunting permit cover that? Hunters... you're take on the game birds?

:) Well as far as the State of Florida goes,all you need is a fossil permit to keep any fossil bird remains.I know Auspex is saying I told you so,when it comes to my freedom,I like to know the local laws in my area.Thanks all. :D

Bear-dog.

Meanwhile, I think, auspex, that it is legal to keep game bird parts without a permit, or does the hunting permit cover that? Hunters... you're take on the game birds?

A hunting license is a "takings permit" under the treaty, so possession of parts covered by the license is legal.