Longusorbis Cuniculosis

bone digger

here is a longusorbis crab from Vancouver Island BC. it is a very nice crab considering it has had basically zero prep work done to it. What I find very cool is the fossil seaweed of some kind right above it! Vancouver island is the only place in the world that this species of crab is found, and also, they are only found in one location.

Some fossils just display well right out of the ground; this one's real eye-candy!

An observer wouldn't have to know anything about fossils to enjoy looking at this one.

Great find!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Always thought it was a bug from the Cretaceous, Moropus

Nice bug, really nice. Congratulations

Crabs are out there...

Always thought it was a bug from the Cretaceous, Moropus

Nice bug, really nice. Congratulations

Your Longusorbis looks awesome, many have been found at that locality but the preservation of your is the best you get. Spines are sharp and color of shell is nice. Lots of woody debris in the concretions including cones. Your inclusion seems to be a small branch. The other common find there is the heteromorph ammonite Baculites,definately Upper Cretaceous.

Fossisle

Cephalopods rule!!

Ever dig on Hornby Island? I have a couple bird bones from Manning Point, and the matrix looks pretty similar.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Ever dig on Hornby Island? I have a couple bird bones from Manning Point, and the matrix looks pretty similar.

Different formations, Longusorbis site is Cedar District Formation, Manning Point is Lambert Formation both Campanian in age with Manning being younger. Longusorbis concretions somewhat coarser/ sandier.

Bird Bones from Hornby ultra Rare!!!

You must have a great collection of Bird material

Fossisle

Cephalopods rule!!

thanks fossisle, I do have a bunch of baculites from shelter, also found a complete shrimp at shelter!!! To my knowledge it has been the only one found there! Also found a very worn neo, but its nothing special. I'm kinda curios who you are, Do you know many people in the VIPS. I lived on the island for ten years, maybe we know each other?! I've been to hornby a few times, have a nice nostoceras (without the living chamber), several archeopas (excuse the spelling) crabs, baculites, some beautiful snails etc. I also have a nice crab from shelter thats left claw is bigger than the right, instead of the usual other way around. Not sure what % of the longi's are like that, do you have any idea?

Bone Digger

Yes I am in Comox and have collected lots on the island. I do know the VIPS guys and went to Escalante with them 2 years ago GREAT trip.There is a callianasid from Shelter Point described in Cretaceous and Eocene Decapod Crustaceans from Southern Vancouver Island 2003.

Neocallichirus manningi

I am sure we met at Shelter Point a few summers ago and you told me you were originally from the Island but moved to Alberta

I am sure not many Longi's are leftys

I do have one with a bump from a parasite on its carapace!

My avatar is one of the Megakkos crabs from Escalante

I just spent the long weekend on Hornby

Send me a PM if your into trading

Fossisle

Cephalopods rule!!

Hey Bone digger dude. I wish I could have been there at shelter point with you guys. If I ever find that double, I will post some photos. But hey, by any chance do you still know 'skip', that fellow that went fossil hunting with us. If so, I want to get intouch with him. Nice crab.

RB