Arkona Hungry Hollow

xenacanthus

i am going back to hh in july and i was wondering if there is any place that is more likely to find ammonites or vertebrae material i know one of the shores is good for sifting for vertebrae material i was wondering which shore that was i am going for a few days so can do many things any suggestions please and thank you

The small ammonites (goniatites, actually) are common in the Arkona formation. That's the lowest level - the soft clay. Vertebrate material, there would only be fish fragments, is not common, and you would be lucky to find any. Teeth, or at least what looks like teeth, are in the limestone, but are tiny

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

I find placoderm fish fragments fairly common (i.e., every trip if I bother) directly under the large shelf containing abundant trace fossils, a few feet above the clay. Some are fairly ornate, and always blueish black.

Well, look who's back. How's it going Matt?

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

I find placoderm fish fragments fairly common (i.e., every trip if I bother) directly under the large shelf containing abundant trace fossils, a few feet above the clay. Some are fairly ornate, and always blueish black.

Great tip Matt ... will be looking for placo bits on my next trip.....