Fossil Dig Vacations?

jerrybrowne

Hi,

My wife and I were thinking of going on a sponsored fossil dig- maybe one of these;

Judith River Dinosaur Institute

The Museum of Western Colorado: Dinosaur Journey Museum

The Wyoming Dinosaur Center and Tour Sites

PaleoAdventures

Has anyone been on one of these? Are they good?

Thanks!

Check out Paleoprospectors. I have been out with them several times and have always found great stuff. The other nice thing is that you get to keep most of what you find.

Thanks for the info. That place looks great. They don't mention much about accommodations. I assume you live in a tent?

TIA

Lodging depends on which week you decide to go. They collect on different ranches and in different exposures every week. you always stay at a hotel and are transpoirted to the site. All meals are also included in the price.

I have not been out with them for several years but found quite a few nice things including a triceratops nose horn, 2 raptor claws, quite a few teeth and several relatively complete bones. Lot's of bone chunks and a few artifacts.

I'll throw in a shameless plug for my own museum's dino digs, hosted by me. I work for the Tate Museum in Casper, WY. We do 5 day long trips into the late Cretaceous Lance Fm in eastern WY. Mostly we collect for the museum, but I usually let folks keep some souvenirs. Small stuff and chunkosaurs...

When I get to work on Tuesday morning I'll update the web page, but here is the link. Look under "activities" then under "Tate Summer Digs". I like to think ours are amongst the least expensive in the country. We stay in hotels and eat restaurant food. And Lusk (where we stay) has the best pizza in Wyoming... so says I, and USA Today.

PM me if you want more info.

jerrybrowne-

Continuation of shameless plug. I have updated our web site. Checkout the info here. On the site go to the "Activities" tab, then the "Tate Summer Digs" tab... (yes, I'm not a fan of this system; it has no direct url). All the info you might need should be there... we are able to do this at a much lower price than other outfits because our goal (along with public education and having fun) is to improve our museum's collections, not to make money.

jpc

Edited by jpc

jerrybrowne-

Continuation of shameless plug. I have updated our web site. Checkout the info here. On the site go to the "Activities" tab, then the "Tate Summer Digs" tab... (yes, I'm not a fan of this system; it has no direct url). All the info you might need should be there... we are able to do this at a much lower price than other outfits because our goal (along with public education and having fun) is to improve our museum's collections, not to make money.

jpc

Hi jpc, thanks for the information. The pricing is very reasonable. Can you tell me how many people normally show up?

TIA

we limit our trips to seven, because that's how many we can fit in our Suburban. We make exceptions for one group that has been coming out with us for many years... there's about 15 of them.