Renaming Species

xonenine

It seems I have a moroccan trilo from a couple of years ago, Phacops africanus, now needs to be renamed Drotops megalomanicus, others change as well.Is there a website or some kind of organization where I can check these and others definitively?

Thanks, Carmine

Edited by xonenine

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

It seems I have a moroccan trilo from a couple of years ago, Phacops africanus, now needs to be renamed Drotops megalomanicus, others change as well.Is there a website or some kind of organization where I can check these and others definitively?

Thanks, Carmine

Global Names Index is a great resource. LINK

The legwork and research to verify the precedence or validity of a genus or species is another kettle of fish.

One caveat, cross-reference often and assume nothing. Many names there are antiquated dead-end time wasters.

Lots of fun though, especially with the obscure and rarer taxa. Enjoy! :)

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

thanks! :)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

• 2 weeks later...

on a side note, having bought this perfect little trilo pre-collecting, it always irked me.It was just too perfect, and the glossy coating on it too suspicious.

With 30x magnification I finally found what I was looking for, 2 very obvious, razor sharp perfect mold lines right at the base of the pyg where it meets the matrix.It is an exceptional model for a fake, its even molting in areas.

Now I can relax and enjoy my 10 dollar model for a bit, after which I will photograph it whole and cut in half.:)

The global names index is OK, but it does not give a synonomy with author's names and dates. For example, the species you wanted to find out about is still valid as Phacops rana africanus Burton & Eldredge 1974

See Global names index....

Phacops (Cryphaeus) africanus Salter 1856

Phacops africanus

Phacops africanus Salter

Phacops rana africanus

Phacops rana africanus Burton & Eldredge 1974

But, I doubt you have this species. Drotops megalomanicus is a valid genus and species, and this is likely what you have (if it is one of the larger phacopids from Morocco). But, as usual, people call their specimens whatever they want, and the net is often not a good place to search for species names. You need to go to the actual articles. For example, there are over 50 species of Devonian "Phacops" from Morocco, representing genera such as true Phacops, Drotops, Austerops, Reedops, Boeckops, Barrandeops, Trimerocephalus, Geesops, and Rotops - to name a few.

Good luck finding ot what it is. The only way I might be able to help is if you post some good quality photos and I can try to id it for you.

Cheers!

will do (post pics), and thanks.:)

Not an expert but I do recall when I bought my first one back in 1989 it was labeled 'Drotops'.

Be true to the reality you create.